Latest release of Edge crashes

Copper Contributor

Hi there, I am experiencing an issue with the latest Edge version 92.0.902.55 which crashes on large HTML datalists. Large being approximately 20,000 options. Works well on Chrome and Firefox but a number of website users have experienced the same issue after the update to the latest of Edge. Any help here would be appreciated. Have tried cache clearing and InPrivate modes. Issue persists on these users machines. Thank you.

37 Replies
Can you please retry and enter the 3 digits "011" instead of only "11".

Thanks.

@Steinbeis Hi!  I tried to enter "011" on my keyboard but could not reproduce.  MS Edge Version 93.0.961.38 (Official build) (64-bit)

datalist-a.gif

Let me know if I should try something else.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

Hi @Kelly_Y, I see there is the new version Version 93.0.961.38 (Official build) (64-bit). Now it does not crash for "011" but when I type "option" it still crashes. What is the easiest way to do these screeen recordings? Is there any log or dump, that can help to analyze the crash? Thanks for your patience.

@Steinbeis MS Edge version 93.0.961.38 was released September 2nd and there has not been another Stable version released since.   I'm not sure if you are seeing different behavior on different MS Edge Channels (Canary, Dev, Beta)?

I'm not able to reproduce by typing "option".  When you encounter the issue can you please submit diagnostic data through the browser? ("..." menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback)

Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y, it is frustrating that you cannot reproduce it. I think I have narrowed down the problem a bit. I think it has to do with autocomplete. I changed the name of my input field, and the the problem was gone. I assume that the autocomplete list build up, when you submit the field so I added a form and a submit button to my simple example (see below).

I selected and submitted several entries until a autocomplete list was build up like this:

Steinbeis_0-1631621397266.png

Once the browser is showing the autocomplete list, the problem is there again, and I can crash the browser by typing and then moving the mouse over the list.

The problem disapears, when I rename the field or delete the autocomplete browser data.

My current verison is Version 93.0.961.47 (Offizielles Build) (64-Bit).

I will try to rename the field in my page and add an autocomplete=off as a workaround. 

----

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<form>
<input name="fSU_NAME" type="text" placeholder="Suchen" list="lstSU">
<br/>
<datalist id="lstSU">
<option value="Option 4711"></option>
<option value="Option 007"></option>
<option value="Option 008"></option>
<option value="Option 009"></option>
<option value="Option 010"></option>
<option value="Option 011"></option>
</datalist>
<br/>
<input type="submit"
</body>
</html>

@Steinbeisdid turning off autocomplete work as a suitable solution? Or did the issue persist?

I agree there is a case where with some users the browser consistently crashes and with others the issue does not persist. Generally, those that do not use Edge have no issue, clean install with not a lot in the cache, but those that use it on a frequent basis experience the datalist crash frequently.

@kgorrie, my tests were ok. I just rolled out that fix. will see, what response comes from the users.

@Steinbeis Hello!  Thanks for the hints! I think I can consistently reproduce on Stable and Canary.  I'll reach out to the team and pass along this information and will let you know once there are any updates.  

Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_YHurray! Hope the team can fix up the issue in short order. Thanks for the support!

did the same. Going to check in with a few users on the issue. Good to hear MS has been able to reproduce. Thanks for providing the insight they and we all needed!

@kgorrie @Steinbeis Our developers have been able to reproduce as well and are currently working on the fix.  We will let you know once it has been deployed.  Thanks again! 

-Kelly

Tagging @Anderung @Mike_Michaud865 @Dennis1993 as FYI 

Thanks!
I‘ve sent a report yesterday. :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I hope it can ne fixed quickly. :thumbs_up:

Hi Everyone!  The new fix is included in current Canary builds and should be included in the Beta V94 release from today (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-relnote-beta-channel#version-94099223-sep...).  

We expect Stable V94 to be release next week (Microsoft Edge release schedule | Microsoft Docs) and should include the fix.  

Please give it a try and let us know if you are still experiencing issues.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y 

Its still crashing on 

Version 94.0.992.47 (Official build) (64-bit)

not every time its crash its crash sometimes

@ghanchi2000 Hi!  Do you have a link to a site that we can use to reproduce?  We would need more information for our developers to investigate.  Thanks!

-Kelly

I can still reproduce this in 94.0.992.47 as well, even with the simple example provided by @Steinbeis
Please Microsoft, fix this as some of our intranet sites are affected. I cannot share the code/url with you but it is analog to the simple example.

@rzcrjz Hi!  I'm checking with the team.  Looks like we've had a few reports of the issue still reproducing.  Are you able to test on MS Edge Beta v95 and see if that fixes the issue?  

Thanks! 

-Kelly

I could not reproduce in 94.0.992.58 (we will switch to extended stable channel to avoid this and other bugs impacting our business too much)