Latest release of Edge crashes

Copper Contributor

Hi there, I am experiencing an issue with the latest Edge version 92.0.902.55 which crashes on large HTML datalists. Large being approximately 20,000 options. Works well on Chrome and Firefox but a number of website users have experienced the same issue after the update to the latest of Edge. Any help here would be appreciated. Have tried cache clearing and InPrivate modes. Issue persists on these users machines. Thank you.

37 Replies

appears this issue is related to the 32-bit version of Edge

I have also experienced a similar issue. I made a video showing the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-aIdcmZzJ0

It crashes even on tiny datalists of 1-2 options. Even the bare-bones HTML below is enough to crash Edge when you press the 'Up' or 'Down' arrow keys twice in a row while the input box is in focus:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<!-- When you press the down arrow key twice, Edge crashes. -->
<h1>This html causes crash on Edge 92.0.902.55</h1>
<label>Options:</label>
<input type="text" list="options" />
<datalist id="options">
<option>Option 1</option>
</datalist>
</body>
</html>
Hey Brandon, thanks for the response, did you find this on the 32 bit version of edge?
Hi,
I was using the 64 bit version of Edge, not the 32 bit version. I just tested it again on Edge Version 92.0.902.62 (Official build) (64-bit), and it is still crashing.
I have the same problem with the new release of Edge 64.
I have the same problem. I can reproduce it with similar simple list. My version is 92.0.902.62 (Offizielles Build) (64-Bit). Did you find any workarround?
Work around we have provided is to use Chrome or Firefox. Both are stable.

This is a bug that we are experiencing as well with Edge.  Does Microsoft plan on fixing it in the next edge release?  Does anyone have access to the next Beta/upcoming Edge release?

@Mike_Michaud865searched for Datalist in the Tech Community and didn't find anything related to upcoming releases

@kgorrie @Mike_Michaud865 @Steinbeis @bmoeller @brandondang1234 Hi Everyone!  Thanks for reporting the issue.  I've passed this on to the team and they are currently investigating.  

-Kelly

Hallo,

what is the current status of this bug?
We can‘t use Microsoft Edge at the moment in our business because web applications are broken.

Is there a little information for us about this? We need the fix, our colleges call us every day.

Thanks in advance :thumbs_up:

@Kelly_Y can we have an update here?

Hi Everyone!  We have a couple of threads about this issue.  Also replying here :smile:

Our developers are currently actively working on the fix.  We will let you know once the fix has been released. 

Thanks!

-Kelly

@kgorrie @Mike_Michaud865 @Dennis1993 @Steinbeis @bmoeller Hi Everyone!  We've had a fix for this issue released in Microsoft Edge Canary Channel version 94.0.994.0+.  We are currently investigating if it can be also backported and we'll keep you updated if we can get included in v92 or v93.  

Thanks! 

-Kelly

Hi, has there been any decisions yet whether this will be backported or not?

@Anderung Yes, I believe it will be included in v93.  You should be able to test once the next Beta Channel update is released.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

Hi Everyone - Microsoft Edge Stable Version 93.0.961.38 was just released today.  It should have the fix for the issue.  If you are continuing to reproduce even after updating please let us know.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

Sorry, but it is still crashing for me.
Version 93.0.961.38 (Offizielles Build) (64-Bit).
I use the html page below for testing.
- I open the html file from disk
- I click in the edit box
- the dropdown opens
- I enter "11" on the keyboard (is does not crash, if you only use the mouse!)
- I move the mouse over the list of items
- I see that the items are not highlighted while the mouse moves over them, this is a sign that it will crash soon
- I wait for 2 or 3 seconds with the mouse over the list
- The browser crashes, all Edge windows disappear.

-----
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<input name="fSU_NAME" type="text" placeholder="Suchen" list="lstSU" >
<br>
<datalist id="lstSU">
<option value="Option 4711"></option>
<option value="Option 007"></option>
<option value="Option 008"></option>
<option value="Option 009"></option>
<option value="Option 010"></option>
<option value="Option 011"></option>
</datalist>
</body>
</html>

@Steinbeis Hi!  I just tested on Version 93.0.961.38 (Official build) (64-bit) but I'm not able to reproduce. 

Here is a screen recording: 

datalist.gif

Can you confirm the steps to reproduce?  Thanks! 

-Kelly