Discussion - Set Aside Tabs and Warn on Close

Microsoft

Hi Insiders, we have received a lot of feedback about how you would like to close your tabs with the option of easily finding and reopening them later as you move between different workflows. Specifically, many of you are asking for the Tab Set Aside feature from the previous version of Microsoft Edge to be brought back. Some of you are also asking for a prompt to help avoid losing all your tabs such that you can’t find them again if you accidentally close the browser.

• Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window
• Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

Each of these requests seem related to the fact that many of you have a lot of tabs open at once across many tasks and workflows. This leads to a situation where it can often be difficult to manage all of your tabs at the same time, and each additional tab makes it difficult to deal with all of the rest (e.g. tabs get smaller, harder to read each titles, many similar tab icons begin to blur together, etc.). But it can also be scary to close tabs and declutter your workspace, for fear of not being able to find things again later if you need to. We have definitely experienced this problem ourselves, observed it in our research and conversations with users, and agree it is an area where we want to invest in tools to help you be more productive across various tasks. We are actively investigating the best way to address this problem and would love your help and input as we proceed to make sure we get the experience just right.

We have looked through your feedback, and there are definitely some very valid reasons for why there was value in the Set Aside feature such as: Helping you pick up on a task later without leaving the tabs open when you aren’t using them, organizing your tabs into groups related to a similar task, and a short term home for more transient tasks that didn’t warrant saving in a permanent location such as Favorites.

We also reviewed feedback on the Set Aside feature itself from people actually using it in the previous version of Microsoft Edge, and there were some very valid critiques on how it worked and how it could be improved. For example, the Set Aside buttons being in a location where they were often accidentally clicked causing some to think their tabs had disappeared, requests to be able to set aside a subset of the currently open tabs rather than “all or nothing”, or requests to rename and personalize tab groups further to more easily find them again later.

The request for a prompt before closing the browser also feels related, because if people could always confidently find and reopen any of their previous tabs, then there would be less fear or concern about losing tabs if they are accidently closed. This would allow people to feel free to declutter and reduce the number of open tabs with no fear about finding them later if needed, and more easily focus on the subset of tabs they are working on now.

As we begin this journey of investigating how best to address these requests, we are asking for your help. Please continue to tell us more about your experience with Set Aside and closing tabs in Microsoft Edge, why these features are important to you in which types of tasks, what did and didn’t work for you about previous implementations, and how you would improve on these scenarios going forward.

334 Replies

@Elliot Kirk THIS is the ONE AND ONLY feature that made sense and set you guys one foot above even the Chrome browser. My opinion simply put without it, its not even worth using edge at all, period the ease of simply pressing a button (on the navigation bar) to simply store the tabs and another to recall them, was GENIUS. The only adjustment I would have made was to make that list part of your sync (across devices). The fact that you could "peek" pulling the tabs up to see mini pages, or while choosing tabs set aside you  could see partial content to make better decisions on which to select and which to rid of was AMAZING. 

Again Simply put, without the feature I have np further use for edge, CHROME will be my default browser and I will disable any or all features that use edge.

@Bohique I've been shouting this from the mountaintop for months! Even getting flak from some of the members of this group, and crickets from @Elliot Kirk and the other Microsoft folks. 🤷‍:male_sign:

Still waiting for Microsoft to implement Set Aside Tabs at least; but whilst we all wait - someone has made an extension for Edge that brings this functionality to the browser.

Its called Tabs Aside and here is the official link to MS Edge Store:

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/tabs-aside/kmnblllmalkiapkfknnlpobmjjdnlhnd

Thought I would share as some may find it useful.

Windows users make mistakes - and inadvertently close windows.  The vast majority of Microsoft apps (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) give the user the option to save the open document before closing.  Not Edge, it wipes everything that you've been working on, closes all tabs and the application. 

It seems like a no-brainer to include a warning that you are about to close all tabs and the application.  Why is there even a discussion?

EXACTLY !! THAN YOU !
This one of most stupid things ever to do for any browser, not giving a warning before closing!
I literally don't know what are they discussing all this time !!! This should have been available since the first canary release ever!

@Elliot Kirk ... same issues as everyone else, which is why I searched for and found this thread. As a safety net, I had to adjust my settings on opening a new browser window to "open last site." That way I can get back to where I was if I close everything in error (or my cat walks on the keyboard doing the same). However, sometimes I have multiple tabs open and  I usually don't want to open a bunch of tabs opening on a new session where I might be in a hurry to do some online banking or something else of a timely nature. Also, it can be awkward especially if I'm not alone next time I open a browser and I don't want to advertise where I was during my last internet outing. Just picture, my client, now sitting next to me, is an attorney and a window pops open where I was reading last time about, "all attorneys are XXXX." You can imagine multiple scenarios.

Please bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge, it was my favorite feature & I used it often.

@Elliot Kirk 

Please bring back the Warn on Close feature. Although I have used Windows since we converted from MSDOS when Windows 3.1 was released sometime in the early '80s, I now, 35 or so years later at age 64, find my attention and memory slipping. The Warn on Close feature has saved me lots of time and effort.  Since the recent "upgrade" to Version 83.0.478.61, I have accidently closed many hours of research that I was unable to retrieve. I agree with an earlier suggestion, give an option for those who like the "Loose It All" feature in this version. But, set the default back to "Warn on Close."

Please!

@Elliot Kirk 

Warning on closing all tabs is absolutely critical to me. It is THE reason I don't use Chrome as my browser. Google's refusal to even consider adding it as an option (along with a penchant for discontinuing products) is what caused me to move away from Google products in general.

I just got screwed over by this and lost all my tabs and I can't get them back because they don't show up under "recently closed" (it just shows one tab that was in another edge window). I've completely wasted 30 minutes in the middle of my work day trying to get back to where I was.

I have no choice but to switch to Firefox as my primary browser on PC, as it is the last mainstream browser left that still offers this critical feature.

I find it really annoying that the window closes without a warning. This is the only missing feature right now that is stopping me from ditching Firefox. Please offer at least an option to enable such a warning! It would increase the user experience so much!

My problem with not having set tabs aside, is with collections, you can't save the modified collection.. So often the workflows I work on change with closed tabs and new tabs..

With collections I cannot update the collection, I have to add a new one and then name it. I then have to delete the old one... 

Please add it back and like others said, make a feature to allow them to be accessed from other devices.

@Elliot Kirk 

@Elliot Kirk after couple of months I found myself not using this really good feature as I used to in old Edge. And this is simply because there's simply no button on the toolbar! Please bring it back!!!

What I do want from my browser: a warning that I'm trying to perform some action that I usually don't actually want to perform, but that's easy to perform on accident.

What I do not want from my browser: a forced change to my workflow with a lecture on how I'm "holding it wrong". That's for me to decide. Just give me the choice - don't constrain me for "my own good". 

I have yet to see any proposed workaround to warn-on-close that's actually a workaround. For example, this notion that the ability to restore tabs is sufficient - it's not, because it doesn't restore text that was typed in text fields in those tabs, and other such webpage state. And I don't think this can be done reliably - you might be able to do it for stock HTML widgets, but not when it's an advanced editor that maintains a lot of state server-side.

We've had warn-on-close as a UX concept for well over 30 years now. It worked wonderfully in MDI apps, and later in the first multi-tabbed browsers. Why is it suddenly uncool? 

@Elliot Kirk 

I find that I frequently close all windows at once by mistake and lose all my work, which is extremely frustrating. So much so that I am thinking of giving up on Edge once and for all.

please bring back the pop up to give a choice whether to close all tabs or specific tab. It should also be a customizable feature that the user can turn the feature on/off in settings.

Kind regards

Philip

@philip98 
Looks like they don't care anymore... They don't even know how CRUCIAL this option is!

@Elliot Kirk Me encantaría que esta opción de avisar al usuario realmente se integre. Yo trabajo con el navegador siempre en modo InPrivate. Esto hace que no guarde historial, por lo que si cierro por accidente lo que ocurre es que no puedo volver a ver los enlaces que tenia abierto.

Si esta opción llega a suceder tiene que también aplicarse en modo InPrivate. 

Es una opción la cual no veo razón lógica de no estar presente, sobre todo si ya existió en versiones pre-Chromium. Nunca me agrado que la hayan removido. Estaré pendiente a la lista de funciones para ver si realmente se integra. 

@Elliot Kirk Some people think Collections could replace Set Aside Tabs. I would like to point out some reasons why Collections as currently implemented are not a good replacement:

• The history for each tab is not saved in Collections. When I restore set aside tabs in Edge Legacy, I can use the back and forward buttons to go back to the next or previous page; this is not possible with Collections.
  • It takes many more clicks to achieve what Set Tabs Aside does with Collections. Setting tabs aside not only saves the tabs, but also closes them with just one click, making it easy to move onto another task in an uncluttered browser. It also restores the tabs and removes them from set aside tabs with just one click, making it easy to resume a task and removing the need to remember to delete tabs when the task is done.
  • In a group of tabs set aside in Edge Legacy, you can scroll sideways to see more tabs; in Chromium Edge, you have to open a collection to see more tabs, and then click a button to return to the list of collections.

Edit: Set tabs aside also saves the position on the page.

@MarinM 

• @MarinM wrote:

@Elliot Kirk Some people think Collections could replace Set Aside Tabs. I would like to point out some reasons why Collections as currently implemented are not a good replacement:

• The history for each tab is not saved in Collections. When I restore set aside tabs in Edge Legacy, I can use the back and forward buttons to go back to the next or previous page; this is not possible with Collections.

That is a rather critical point.  It essentially means Set Aside Tabs enables you to go back to kitchen, in the middle of all unfinished business with dough and all lying there and you can make decisions again.  In contrast, collections is more like a ready made cookie which you can revisit for what it is, serves as a little more than an archive for already finished business.

In other words, If someone is using collections as a substitute for Set Aside Tabs they are going through the trouble of making choices, that is, what is and isn't important to them while with SAT they could revisit a snapshot of time in which their browser was in a certain state. This affords peace of mind that you are not loosing anything : microsoft shouldn't only bring this feature back but to build on it in its own direction different from the collections feature (which is more like manual shopping compared to In manufacturing process of SAT). 

@Elliot Kirk 
"Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window"
Now it's planned, but for when??????? Why the delay ??
And it MUST include the number of running tabs just like Firefox! This is the only way I count the running tabs!! And I use this for counting the tabs all the time!