Dev Channel update to 84.0.495.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 84.0.495.2 to the Dev Channel.  While there isn’t too much new to talk about this week, we do want to make users of Collections aware of a potential issue with syncing.  After the recent update to bring Collections to the Stable channel in version 81, it’s possible that Collections sync isn’t enabled by default in Beta (since it was just updated from version 81) or Stable.  If that’s the case, you’ll need to go to edge://settings/profiles/sync and turn it on yourself. 

Additionally, we put together an article highlighting some of Edge’s features that will make working from home easier:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/04/16/get-an-edge-while-working-from-home/.  We’ve also started a discussion for people who have seen the mouse cursor disappear when interacting with Edge, as we’re trying to get to the cause of it:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/discussion-mouse-cursor-sometimes-disappears/m-p/....  As for this week’s notable features and fixes: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability for Guided Switch to offer to switch to personal profiles instead of just work or school profiles. 
  • Added a keyboard shortcut (Alt+Shift+R on Windows) to show the options bar in Immersive Reader. 
  • Added support for SmartScreen to block potentially unwanted apps that are downloaded as ClickOnce or DirectInvoke applications. 
  • Added the ability for developers to debug Edge instances that are running in headless mode. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where right clicking the back/forward buttons to open the Travel Log crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on the link on the History management page to clear browsing data crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to Share multiple times in quick succession sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge installation on Mac sometimes hangs. 
  • Fixed an issue where the first IE mode tab in a window sometimes hangs on its initial navigation. 
  • Fixed an issue where browser sign in fails because the sign in dialog sometimes doesn’t appear. 
  • Fixed another issue where random renderer processes sometimes have high, consistent CPU use. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where pasting into text fields on webpages sometimes doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge’s Taskbar shortcut sometimes disappears. 
  • Fixed an issue where apps appear in the … > Apps menu that shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where the website info flyout isn’t correct in Immersive Reader. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain address fields can’t be left empty when editing an address saved in Settings even though they should be able to be. 
  • Fixed an issue where the on-screen keyboard sometimes dismisses other popups when it shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where the URL shown in Immersive Reader is the webpage’s original URL instead of one specifying that reading mode is currently active. 
  • Fixed an issue where the link to review security settings on the Sync settings page goes to the location for personal accounts even when signed into the browser with a work or school account. 
  • Fixed an issue where Collections exported to Word sometimes don’t have the language set properly. 
  • Fixed an issue where Guest window tabs appeared as “InPrivate” in the browser Task Manager. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Find on Page popup sometimes doesn’t appear when using Shy UI. 
  • Fixed an issue where the username displayed on the Privacy Settings page is sometimes a lot of 0’s. 

Known issues: 

• Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.  We hope that this will be improved now that version 81 is released to Stable. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

For those of you running Beta, we updated Beta to version 83 last week, and we couldn’t have done it without all your help! 

34 Replies

@VincentBech Okay, so the download appears to complete successfully, but you can't find the file when it's done?  I'm not having any trouble downloading from the link you provided, so I still want to make sure it doesn't have anything to do with the way your computer is configured.  If you're seeing this in the Dev channel, can you also try in Canary to see if the same thing happens?  Or, can you create a new profile in Edge and see if it also happens there?  Edge shouldn't share any settings from IE that would affect this.  

@jolted131212 delivered! :smile:

josh_bodner_0-1588383377291.png

It already available in Edge https://geekermag.com/remove-duplicate-favorites-microsoft-edge/

You need to visit: edge://favorites/removeDuplicates and follow the instructions :)

given back a safeway

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner The tab group feature that had been added to the experimental features has been removed. I found it to be quite helpful for the brief moment it had been added. Just wanted to say I'd enjoy it if I could enable it again.

Hi, I have been able to resolve the issue, thanks to the hint provided by @andersdk concerning SmartScreen filter.... After full wipe of Edge + clean re-install. I tried many things and the settings I changed was this:
- Windows key + R, type inetcpl.cpl
- In internet security tab, click on Internet's "cusomize" button
- Scroll down almost to the end (just before Writing Scripts subsection) and deactivate the "Use Defender SmartScreen"
Now I can download any EXE, finally! So the issue was located in an "old" internet settings?
Feeling super happy, I can stick with Edge Dev which is for me from far the best browser I ever used... even if it's a pre-beta release.

@VincentBech 

Great! And thank you for sharing the solution. Yeah - living on the Edge Dev is the best :happyface:

@Ebsolas I believe that tab grouping feature is something that we were inheriting from Chromium, not something we were working on ourselves, so there's not a lot of control we have over it at the moment.  

Two questions: 1) Does anyone know why it consistently takes up to 30 seconds for my printer list to populate when I try to print a website? This occurs in all four insider builds. 2) Where did save as app go? Was it removed, or is it somewhere else? Thanks! Dan
  1. @Dan_AI4GK  im not sure lifetime television "coffee tabaco

@josh_bodner Recently I've been getting this issue where my tabs are all squished (See screenshot). I can re-maximze Edge and they go back to normal. I think it's when Edge is minimized and I open a link from an App like Mail.

I'm on Version 84.0.502.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

rjpaulsen_0-1588949457494.png

@rjpaulsen 

I have seen the same once yesterday. I don't remember what I did, but think I pinned and unpinned it to get it to look normal. As I remember it, it looked like a pinned tab, where it also tried to show the close button?

I will post again If I experience it again.

@rjpaulsen yup, it's a known issue, usually caused by clicking links from other applications that open up new browser tabs.  

FYI, seeing it when opening PDFs from within Edge with Edge as the default browser. Not sure if this qualifies as 'other applications'.