07-23-2019 01:07 PM
07-23-2019 01:07 PM
Hello insiders! Today we published build 188.8.131.52 to the Dev channel. This build contains a number of fixes and improvements, the most notable of which is a new feature to clear browsing data on exit. You can find this option in settings under "Privacy and services". Some of the other changes are listed below. Please let us know if you experience any issues with the update, and thanks for being an insider!
Fixes and improvements in 184.108.40.206:
07-24-2019 05:34 AM
@David Rubino are you guys planning on changing downloading pop-up window from what it is to something more useful and less annoying like in Firefox or Opera? This Chrome all screen wide pop-up is the most annoying thing for me so far.
07-24-2019 06:16 AM
07-24-2019 06:40 AM
@David Rubino I love the new Edgium, really do. Like the fact that it's backward compatible with IE, good for the enterprise. Love that fact that it's simple and lightweight too. A browser should not be bloated with useless features.
Here's the "bloatware" features that I do NOT want in Edgium:
* Reading List (this was always confusing. when is it a bookmark? when a reading list item?)
* Set Aside Tabs (if you do this... do it as an Extension that ppl must install and thus opting INTO - can't tell you how many times I accidentally hit this button in the old Edge.)
* Hover over tabs (why? they're just tabs. no need to waste your time.)
* Books (this should return as a separate app if MS one day returns to books. Or better yet just work with Amazon to get Kindle on the MS Store.)
There are just 3 things missing before you go prime time:
1) Timeline integration in Windows 10 (this is major league important)
2) Pin to Start (I keep my Taskbar clean... only showing Windows that I am actively using. This is because I typically have 20 windows open at a time. So please give me back my Pin to Start.)
3) There should be a back button in the Apps/Install this site as an app wrapper. Honestly I will probably never use this feature. Tried is once on Mint.com. The experience was terrible on Mint.com. But I can see in the enterprise why one might want to use this button. In the enterprise there are actually a lot of web apps. For home use though there just aren't enough true PWAs yet to warrant this button. Anywho... a back button would at least allow some semblance of usefulness for a site that is close to a PWA, but not quite... like Mint.com.
With these 3 features I think you're ready to go into production with this browser.
In the future please live by the motto "Keep it Simple Silly". It's a great motto for a dev to live by. There may be new features, I'm not saying there won't, but please remember that a browser should be well... just a browser.
07-24-2019 06:45 AM
@GDevYoussef I don't think this kind of features should be implemented on browser level, but rather as extensions since a lot of users won't event use it and it will probably just add unnecessary 'bloatware'.
07-24-2019 06:52 AM
@David Rubino Loving the work so far, definitely the best browser out there.
There's a mind-numbing bug in the two latest versions, where if I right-click a link to open it in a new tab, or open it in a new tab by holding the Ctrl key, it will create a tab group and put both tabs in it, then eat up space on the tab bar while not actually organizing anything. There's not even any way to disable this behavior, and the number is seemingly random. In the image above, I was on the reply message screen, and opened the "blogs" link in a new tab. Doing this created Group 3 automatically, and added these two tabs to it, then added an unclickable tab that is highlighted, called "Group 3."
07-24-2019 07:50 AM
I've been using this as my primary browser across my devices since it launched and it's worked great! Can't wait to for the new Edge to launch so i can roll it out to my org! Keep up the good work!
07-24-2019 11:11 AM
There appears to be a bug with UWP web links not opening in this build:
When I click on a web link from say Outlook (UWP), it shows an error for every link about not being to open it.
If I go into Default Apps and change back to old Edge the links open.
Change Default Apps back to latest Dev and they don't.
Links do open correctly from Win32, like Desktop Outlook.
I have reported via Feedback link.
07-24-2019 01:08 PM
The Team knows about this issue & say they are working on it. A resolution ETA, I have not heard.
07-24-2019 01:43 PM
When not using the default NTP, I have sometimes noticed this same event. It is extremely brief!; such that I just let it go from my mind. Anyway, you nailed it with, "before Initab can take over"... it's that instant that it flips to, redirects to the NTP that is being used. It's that shade because the default NTP (with no image) is that colour; light/dark doesn't come into play with this.
07-24-2019 02:04 PM
It can be thought of as an A/B comparison IF, it is viewed as Edge C vs Edge. But, properly speaking, it's beta testing. Actually, personally, I find the terminology confusing to people... Canary & Dev are, certainly, beta Builds as, the forthcoming Beta track will be, also. The only differences are frequency of updates & how likely flaws & instability are; 3 degrees of magnitude.
Perfection or any notion of being a finished project is never part of beta Builds. It's the very point of beta Builds & beta testing... find what works & what's broken or not built quite right, yet; ie, has flaws & needs reworking. Find what (MOST) people like or dislike. Learn what (MOST) people want or do not want to see which, gives the build Team direction. And/or lets them know what needs fixing or tweaking.
07-24-2019 03:47 PM
07-25-2019 05:59 AM - edited 07-25-2019 06:01 AM
07-25-2019 06:38 AM
07-25-2019 06:54 AM
@David Rubino Using the "Install this site as an app" feature for Word online it works pretty good... actually pretty "app" like. However when you click the File menu and open up another recent document it frustratingly kicks out Edgium itself, rather than opening it up in the "app" window or another "instance" of an "app" window. If you were to fix this... I could see myself using the "install this site as an app feature" for Office web.
07-25-2019 07:11 AM
07-25-2019 08:58 PM
07-25-2019 10:13 PM
07-25-2019 10:23 PM