We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies
I do know that and accept that. But, even in production versions network problems can happen. You only have to read the internet sites to find that out. Network help files should be on your computer not on a website. Where you can not get to when you have network problems. and have no other device handy to get to.
True,
but there are solutions for that, such as Troubeshooting and Tips app.
the network system in Windows 10 has trouleshooting too, just like other components and every program on Windows. it can detect and fix problems or tell you what you need to do to fix it.
It was the troubleshooter that pointed me to the website because it could do nothing. I did not know there was a tips app. But after a quick check nothing about fixing network troubles
So what was your problem exactly?
I don't think I've ever had the Troubleshooter actually fix anything. I've found it utterly useless.
Honestly said I still have no idea why the network became so unstable after the update. In the end, I ended rolling back to the version before it. Even after the network was running I got only at the most 3mbs. should be about 50-70mbs. Microsoft did fix it. in the version that came out after that. I did check the wi-fi connection on my phone and it had 70mbs at the same time holding it beside the antennas of my computer wi-fi card.

It may have to do that my wi-fi card is a bit older. But it supports all the protocols. So, it should not be a problem.

@Elliot Kirk 

I heard you guys were going to EOL the windows snipping tool!

Don't do it!

It's priceless!!!

Tell the powers that be!

Thanks

@Jerry_JRData 

Jerry, The idea is that Snip & Sketch replaces Snipping Tool and that's an OS thing..  But, what people are discussing  here in the Edge forum, regarding the browser, is Add notes being kept in (new) Edge same as it is in Edge, now.

Cheers,
Drew

@erikvp 

@erikvp wrote:
Honestly said I still have no idea why the network became so unstable after the update. In the end, I ended rolling back to the version before it. Even after the network was running I got only at the most 3mbs. should be about 50-70mbs. Microsoft did fix it. in the version that came out after that. I did check the wi-fi connection on my phone and it had 70mbs at the same time holding it beside the antennas of my computer wi-fi card.

It may have to do that my wi-fi card is a bit older. But it supports all the protocols. So, it should not be a problem.

Yeah there are lots of variables that could have effect on your WI-FI connectivity, you could find out the main cause of the problem though but it's too late now cause it's fixed, maybe next time that it happens, hopefully never :)

@Jerry_JRData 

@Jerry_JRData wrote:

@Elliot Kirk 

I heard you guys were going to EOL the windows snipping tool!

Don't do it!

It's priceless!!!

Tell the powers that be!

Thanks

Snipping tool is really old, i wouldn't mind losing it.

Snip & Sketch is better which is a built in app and has all the features of snipping tools plus more.

Oh is it replacing? that's good

@Elliot Kirk 

Horizontal scrolling in the address bar is very useful in the old Edge.

Any chance it's coming to the chromium Edge?

The error reports were sent to Microsoft. Hope they used them. As the problem is fixed I guess they did
Oh that's good :)

Two Feature Requests

The Built in Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 Emulation Rendering Mode right inside Microsoft Edge Canary is broken.

As of about October 31st 2019 this feature is broken.

This website

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2700601/how-to-fix-errors-found-in-the-checksur-log

for example if you scroll down to the bottom of the page where the long take ownership dos command is, This is displayed incorrectly now in Microsoft Edge Canary , whereas it used to be displayed properly in Microsoft Edge Canary.

you will notice that the long take ownership dos command is displayed in a text box with a side scrolling horizontal bar on the bottom of it. This is not how this web page is supposed to be displayed

the text in the long dos take ownership command line It is supposed to be displayed without a box and a scrollbar around it, and also it is supposed to be

displayed with word wrap on, and the text is supposed to go vertically down the web page instead of horizontally across the page.

Microsoft Edge Canary used to display this type of a web page correctly, which is without the scroll box and horizontal side scrolling bar at the bottom around the long dos text commands.

Displaying this type of web page correctly is important because, for example, if you try to print this web page (or others like it with long dos commands) when it is displayed wrong, the long dos take ownership command is cut off and you can't see it all, making it useless when printed.

So please fix this Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 Built-In Rendering Engine feature, built right into Microsoft Edge Canary, again so it works. Also make this a permanent feature for the new Edge browser please

Also another feature that would be great in Microsoft Edge Canary and also as a permanent feature for the new Microsoft Edge Browser , is to have the Shrink To Fit option when trying to print a web page, and also when saving a web page to a .PDF file. 

No other browsers out there have these two very useful features, so please add them

Thank You for your consideration of these features

@Brady2495 

I do agree that displaying the dos command in such a way that you see it all without scrolling is better. It makes reading an example code much easier. It can be frustrating to follow code when horizontally scrolling.  Also, for printing, it is really good. 

Through the shrink to fit is part of the windows printing dialog. So, I had to check it and indeed it is not in the C Edge printing interface and should be added.

PDF files are scalable, when saving pages as PDF, you can set the scale option in the print pop up window.
when viewing it on any devices, depending on the PDF reader that you use, you can use the fit to page or fit to width option when viewing your PDF.
there are paper sizes when printing for PDF, the shrink to fit wouldn't make sense, it's not a desktop background.

Also, there are websites that have custom layout, like for example a 3 column layout, the main content is in the middle and the rest like ads, site notes etc are on the sides. so how can print feature magically know which parts not to print and which parts to print and shrink.

the best option is to first turn that webpage into a proper format using Immersive reader mode and then print it from there.

@GrahamJockey 

@GrahamJockey wrote:

@Elliot Kirk 

Horizontal scrolling in the address bar is very useful in the old Edge.

Any chance it's coming to the chromium Edge?

scrolling between browser tabs with mouse wheel?

Google chrome canary has this flag called

Scrollable TabStrip

Allows users to access tabs by scrolling when they no longer fit in the tabstrip. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS

#scrollable-tabstrip

Microsoft could add it to the Edge

@Brady2495 

Brady, possibly you've not noticed all that's in the print controls with Edge C. It can save to PDF & it shrinks to fit, although, here it is called scaling.  There's a bunch of choices in the top box with its scroll arrow. The red arrow at Less settings did say More settings. Hit that to see Scaling.  It goes by 5s from 100% to zero.

Prt.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

@erikvp 

Erik, please, see my note to Brady in this thread.  Shrink to fit does, already, exist.

Cheers,
Drew