We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

@Justin_Noel 

Justin,

It has not "shipped", yet.  These are beta Builds we are testing.  It is not yet embedded on or in any  system.  Hence, the current arrangement.

Cheers,
Drew

@Dan_AI4GK 

What's a DMG? Dan, read all about it HERE.

Cheers,
Drew

hi! how about chromium-based edge for windows 10 mobile? is there a chance?

@caloy180 

I'm going to suggest that once (new) Edge goes GA, it should, also, find its way to the browser for Mobile, as well.  At least on my Windows phone, I would expect.

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903

hi Drew your Windows phone is still working after all these years.  

@erikvp 

Yes, Erik, it is.  And I like it as much as ever.  I've had it almost 3 yrs.

Cheers,
Drew

@Elliot Kirk  What I'd like to see is to be able to view two or more browser tabs at the same time (on same screen).

I hope so, although EdgeHTML on Android doesn't bother be as much as it did on desktop but I think it will enjoy faster load times with Chromium engine
At first their priority will be IOS and Android of course..and they have to evaluate whether it's worth their time and money to develop it for WP or not

@TeresaFryer 

Hi Teresa,

Unless I am not understanding you, this can be done, now and it has nothing to do with this new browser. First, one can have many tabs open in one same browser window.  2ndly, browser windows can appear on the screen in various ways; Rt Clk on taskbar to 
Arrange.jpg

and lastly, Win10 allows one to "Snap" windows... one can have 2 to 4 windows sharing the screen simultaneously.  Go to Tips (T-i-p-s in search to find it) & put Snap in its search.

Tip.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

Hi @TeresaFryer 

Video in here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ae/help/4027324/windows-10-snap-your-windows

Snap with the mouse

Use Snap to arrange all your open windows using the mouse, keyboard, or the Snap Assist feature.

• Select the title bar of the window you want to snap.

• Drag it to the edge of your screen. An outline will appear to show where the window will snap to once you drop it.

• Drag it to the left or right side of your screen to snap it to the left or right half of the screen.

Snap with the keyboard

To snap a window with the keyboard:

• Select the window you want to snap and press the Windows Logo Key  + Left Arrow to snap that window to the left of your screen or the Windows Logo Key  + Right Arrow to snap that window to the right.
  • If you want to move it to a corner after snapping it, then with the window selected, press the Windows Logo Key  + Up Arrow or the Windows Logo Key  + Down Arrow to get it into the desired corner.
  • After you move the window to a corner, the window is in its smallest possible state, which is a quarter of the screen. Then you can use the Windows Logo Key  + Arrow Keys to move it wherever you want.

Snap with Snap Assist

Snap Assist appears after you’ve snapped a window but have a lot of available space on your screen. Any other open windows are displayed in that space as thumbnails.

• Click the thumbnail of the window you want to open in the empty space on your screen.
  • If you have two windows displayed side-by-side, you can resize both windows simultaneously by selecting and dragging the dividing line.
  • Resize the window on one side to the size you want it to be, and then release the mouse button. The other window will resize itself to fit alongside the first one, so you won't have any empty screen space.

So, it seems like it's Apple's version of a .iso.
Hi
New microsoft edge is super. But new google chrome (chromium) design is vile.
I like UWP design from previous edge. With square edges, windows actual material design and add plugins from microsoft store app.
Hi,
Me too, the design and theme (transparent blurry style) was one of the few things I loved about it.
I think eventually after Edge classic is replaced by the new Edge browser on Windows 10, the extension area will be added to Microsoft store which currently is in here:
https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/insider-addons?hl=en-US

@Amanedev 

The are lots of extensions available from MS Store as well as a bunch from the Chrome store.  Personally, I think the boost in performance from the under the covers work overshadows the shape of corners.

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 

Resorting to having to obtain plug in's from Stores kinda defeats the whole objective.  I expect an item of software to work out the box, not supplied half cocked and having to track down fixes to make it work.

This really is an unacceptable approach.

@pdh1968 

Ah, except there are none that are, actually, necessary or imperative "to make something work".  Example, Scroll button... pages can go up & down without it.  Edge C will work quite nicely without adding any extensions.  Sounds like there may be a wee bit of misunderstanding... there is no "resorting" to things to make something work.  Works fine with none.

Cheers,
Drew

@pdh1968 

Sometimes there is no option then use add ons. For example, I am sure that Microsoft would be sued by the content providers if they would build in an ad blocker. They will mot sue a small company because there is no profit in it for them. Also, a few will yell monopoly abuse.  There are other examples out there.

Also, what I like to see in a browser is not what another person wants to see. So, to put it all in you will get a very large program. A good example of a program in which they put everything in to make everyone happy is Microsoft Word. for the vast majority, most of the features are never used, Likely they don't even know they are there. I don't like my browser to be like that. It has to do all the common functions, and do them very good and fast. The rest I can do with an add on that does the specific function I need. For me a good one is Fiddler. Someone that does not develop for websites doesn't need that.

@erikvp 

Erik, you make a good point about not loading up a browser w/  'standard equipment'.  Especially, since some would consider that to mean different things, for them. The other point is, extensions are 100% optional not, actually, required.  All are personal to take or not.  Even, since you mentioned it, an ad blocker.  Heck, with Edge C set to Strict, I've been able to go without an ad blocker for the 1st time ever.  The extensions some can be cool, helpful, fun, but, not, imperative.  Nor do they add bloatware... they are not that, but, just wee light-weight apps added to, but, not an integral, native, part of the browser.

Cheers,
Drew