SOLVED

Expirations Dates

Copper Contributor

Quick question: In SharePoint Online, didn't there used to be a way to set expirations dates for share links?
I no longer see this option...

9 Replies
best response confirmed by Phil_COB (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Phil_COB yes, its in the SPO admin center, or PowerShell, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/manage-sharing

@Dean Gross

Thanks Dean.  

The link you sent is for OneDrive.  Can I assume there are similar settings for SPO?  

Correct, but you need to configure per site collection basis that you want to be able to share with anyone files and folders in your sites

Hi, @Juan Carlos González Martín 

So, Admin can set an expiration date that impacts all shares in a collection, but users can no longer set their own expiration dates for a specific file share? 

@Dean Gross 

Interesting, but it still sounds like only Admin can set expiration dates for all shares in a collection, but users can no longer set their own expiration dates for a specific file share? 

Am I understanding this correctly?

No, an admin can define a default expiration date but an end user can always override that expiration date as long as the date is between current date and the expiration date defined by the Admin

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

@Juan Carlos González Martín wrote:
...an end user can always override that expiration date as long as the date is between current date and the expiration date defined by the Admin

How?  I do not see an option for an end-user to set an expiration date in SharePoint Online, and this is not mentioned in the How To link send by @Dean Gross 

I figured it out.  You only get this option for "Anyone with this link"

Thanks for your help.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Phil_COB (Copper Contributor)
Solution