Word can't open some files after Update to MS 365

Copper Contributor

Cheers,

I just changed Word from the students-version to MS 365 on my MacBook M1 (macOS: Sonoma 14.1.1). Did a fresh install and used the MS License removal tool. Now unfortunately I can't open most (but not all) of my old Documents. "Word experienced an error trying to open the file". 

Opening it with the recover function works perfectly. But if I try to save the recovered file on my desktop (or in any other place) the file popups for just a second but disappears immediately. The same error occurs, when I copy the contents of the recovered document in a new Document. Maybe a problem with formatting?

I can open the faulty files in MS 365 online, but when I download the files again, nothing changed.

If I open the files in Pages and transfer the content in a new Word document, I can save the file without any problems, but don't have my formation.

A fellow study buddy who hasn't done the update yet, can still open the files perfectly.

Since the documents are my whole preparation for my final state exam, work of nearly a year so far, I am thankful for all suggestions to fix this issue.

Best Regards Jonathan

p.s.: since English is not my first language, if something doesn't makes sense, I'm happy to clarify.

0 Replies