My word macro disappeared

Copper Contributor

I'm new here, could someone help me to know what happened to the macro?

It is not found in "Normal.dotm." or "All active templates and documents" or even the file itself.

Is there any folder I might be looking for?

Context: I've always used an excel file next to word to assemble budgets, the macros present in excel haven't disappeared, but the word macros have. I didn't make any changes to the files, because I always kept them as "Read Only".

3 Replies

@Passolongo 

Word macros are stored in the Normal template by default. However, they can be in any macro-enabled template. Check which *.dotm file has been modified recently.

@Passolongo 

As Stefan explained, the default location for recorded macros is the Normal.dotm template. It takes a deliberate step to save them elsewhere. If your normal template is read-only your macro would not have saved. I would be surprised if you stored it anywhere else.

Are you in a corporate setting where a standard normal.dotm template is imposed/enforced by IT?

Resources for next time.

@Passolongo 

I lost all my macros.  I found that when I opened the macro file (which shows no macros), then I saved it to an external drive... and all my macros re-appeared.