When doing the spelling and grammar check, it doesn't correct small i?

Copper Contributor

For some reason, Microsoft Word spelling & grammar under review doesn't correct the small i into capital I? It neither finds out where the full stop  or commas should be? I am looking for a solution that would identify the spelling and grammar error after the document is completed. This is because I copy the text from somewhere else and then try to correct the errors.  Any help is appreciated. 

27 Replies
If I would type i, it automatically corrects it to I. However, when I paste the whole paragraph, it ignores it along with the punctuations. Could it be because my paragraph doesn't have any punctuations, it doesn't work?!

@Bhupinder1 , I think the issue is in the pasting. If i changes to I when you type, it means that the default set up is correct.

It is difficult to judge without seeing it with our own eyes, but I think that when you paste the spellcheck is either 'muted' or is in different language that treats the 'i' differently.

I cannot judge correctly without actually seeing, but I have a hunch that this is the reason. 

All posts here are relevant, but we are missing something from your, the correct input. Please check the source and the target setting, check the paste options, check how you paste (do you paste using CTRL+V or do you paste 'Text only'?). The solution is in there, I am confident. 

But if it be the language or pasting problem, then it shouldn't pick up other spelling errors?! I only use one language - English. How could it correct i'm to I'm and not i to I? I tried different pasting options as well. One quick question, what happens when you copy and paste my text (exactly as it is) to your MS Word? Does it flag the errors including punctuations? I kind of think it must be related to the punctuations. But, I can't really find the exact cause.

@Bhupinder1 ,

yes it does, please see my previous post. Like I said, I can replicate your issue under certain conditions (using the same proofing language setup).

I am sorry but I am unable to help you further without connecting to your computer.

"How could it correct i'm to I'm and not i to I? I tried different pasting options as well. "

To me this means that it is not punctuation problem but proofing setting issue.

Also, it just dawned on me - are you talking about autocorrect (your words - it correct i'm to I'm) or just that the spelling shows that i is/isn't correct with the read line?

@Lenka_Kerumova Auto correct only works when typing live. After copy pasting the paragraph, I go to the Review Tab and select "Spelling & Grammar". Then, it goes through each wrong word with a suggestion. It finds most spelling errors except i.  

Hello @Bhupinder1 ,

Of course it does, but you mentioned that "it corrects i'm to I'm". 

One last question - have you tried Microsoft on-line support?

I appologise for repeating myself, but we are unable to help as we don't have access to your PC. I can replicate your issue, but since I have not seen the many settings these can influence it (you didn't give us print-screens of the settings), the only way to get help is to get someone on-line to connect to your PC.

If you didn't try that, might I suggest that you do? Or any other on-line help with the option of connecting to your PC.

Or, if you can't do that, get a workaround in place to replace i with I.

Or, since you haven't mentioned how long or when it started happening - reinstall.

@Lenka_Kerumova Thanks for all the effort in trying to help me. I have attached the snapshot of the settings and the text. As you can see in the text snapshot, it has detected cpus to CPUs but still didn't detect i. In snaphshots 2 and 3 there are more settings that I might help but I'm not sure what to change there. If the problem is still not resolved then I'll use Ctrl+H and replace i manually. But, I still have the problem with the punctuations as well?  

Right.

@Bhupinder1 , there is no issue with your punctuation because there is no punctuation. You can't expect Word to know where a sentence is ending, or when you want to separate clauses or phrases.

Look at  my example - no punctuation, and Word doesn't pick it up. The grammar checker is there to help if you make a mistake, but you need to meet certain conditions,which you currently don't.