When doing the spelling and grammar check, it doesn't correct small i?

Copper Contributor

For some reason, Microsoft Word spelling & grammar under review doesn't correct the small i into capital I? It neither finds out where the full stop  or commas should be? I am looking for a solution that would identify the spelling and grammar error after the document is completed. This is because I copy the text from somewhere else and then try to correct the errors.  Any help is appreciated. 

27 Replies

@Bhupinder1 

Click on "File" in the ribbon and select "Options".

In the next dialog box, open the Document Review section.

Check the box next to “Check spelling as you type”.

Spelling errors are then marked with red wavy lines.

Also check the box next to "Mark grammatical errors while typing".

These errors are marked with blue wavy lines.

Ignore uppercase words, numbers, or Internet addresses when checking spelling

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote any reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Thanks @NikolinoDE . Sorry, I didn't describe the problem well enough. I am looking for a solution that would identify the spelling and grammar error after the document is completed. This is because I copy the text from somewhere else and then try to correct the errors. 

Hello @Bhupinder1 ,

to do a spellcheck after you've completed your document, select all text (Ctrl+A), and hit F7.

Since you copy text from somewhere else, you might also want to check that the proofing language is set to the same one in the entire document, so again select all text, go to Review → Language → Set Proofing Language ... → select and confirm the language you need. These steps will also reignate the spelling.

Please Read what i send.
I have not sent a description of the problem,
I have sent you a suggested solution with specific steps.
Where is your problem?
Did you complete the steps?
I read your suggestion. The options that you've specified were already checked and it didn't pick up small i as error.
I tried it and it still didn't pick up the small i error. Very strange.
With your permission, please insert a file (without sensitive data) with this problem,
inform us about your Office or Word version, as well as the operating system and version.
Thus, the user who want to help have an accurate picture and a proposed solution of your problem-fits.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

@Bhupinder1 

Generally, spellcheck is more reliable than grammar check in Word. However, when I'm running a manual spellcheck with F7 in Word 2019, the spellchecker certainly flags an error for "i" (see screen shot).

Are you sure that the language is correctly set in your text? See http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/MasterSpellCheck.htm.

@NikolinoDE . Please find the attached word document. I am using 2019 and Windows 10. I hope this helps. 

Have you copied the text to word? I've attached my document to my reply to Nikolino.

@Bhupinder1 

Thanks for the sample document. When I open your document, the text is not identified as misspelled. However, if I paste the content, as plain text, into a new, blank document and spellcheck it, then the errors are found. See screen shot below.

This suggests some sort of formatting issue with the original document text, but I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact cause (yet).

@Bhupinder1 

Here is the result of pasting the content into a new, blank document. Are the errors flagged if you open the document on your system?

@Bhupinder1 

This is the way how the red wavy line disappears.

If you…

Click on "File" in the ribbon and select "Options".

In the next dialog box, open the Document Review section.

Check the box next to "Check spelling as you type".

Spelling errors are then marked with red wavy lines.

That is the explanation of what the underlined red wavy line stands for in word.

Word spell checker

Two main colors are used in Word: The red wavy line, also known as a serpentine line, circles the words red, which are misspelled according to current spelling rules. In addition to typical spelling errors, words are underlined in red after the comma, as they correspond to the old spelling. Typos and reversed letters are also marked in this way.

If a word or entire parts of a sentence are underlined with a double blue line, there is a formatting or grammatical error. So anyone who builds a grammatically incorrect sentence construction or, for example, uses an enumeration in a sentence, but adds the singular to it, is kindly advised of this.

Even careless mistakes such as a space before punctuation, a missing after or double space, a common form of idiot spaces, do not go undetected by Word and are underlined in blue.

The text is from my research on the internet. But please keep in mind that my knowledge of Word as a simple user is very limited.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

Still not working! Very frustrating. I even tried in Google Documents and it also can't detect i!

Hello @Bhupinder1 ,

I opened your document and the only time I can replicate your issue is when I have the box with "Do not check spelling or grammar" ticked. I appologize for asking the obvious - but can you please check whether this box is (or not) checked when you double click the language option on your status bar?

Thank you. L.

@Bhupinder1 

In which version of Word are you (usually) editing the document?

I've tried both checked and unchecked for spelling or grammar. Language is set correctly, otherwise it wouldn't detect the other words such as i'm. The main problem is with the punctuations and "i".

Hello @Bhupinder1 ,

thank you for confirming. 

There is one more issue that I could think of: in your autocorrect - do you have the i-I pair present in corrections? In my language the "i" is correct as a standalone and therefore we don't have it commented/included in the autocorrect and it doesn't show as an error just like in your document.

Could it be that this is not for some reason part of your setting?