Main text of my Word doc became a toggle field code

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

somehow yesterday I managed to move 30K words of my text within the brackets of a toggle field code. I don't even know how I did that! It took me a while to understand what had happened, as basically the text disappeared leaving behind only the footnotes. The problem is that now I cannot work on the text freely anymore...

I tried so far without success: retrieving previous versions from Word and from Onedrive, copying and pasting in various ways to new documents and also combining this document with older versions.

Any idea?

xx

1 Reply

@VRisdonne 

Press Alt+F9 to display all field codes in the document. Does the text you want appear in the code of a field? If it does, carefully select just that text, avoiding the field brackets at the beginning and end (and the field's keyword, if there is one at the beginning). Copy that and paste it outside the field. When you're confident that the copy was successful, delete the remaining bits of the field.

Ordinarily, it would be recommended to paste to a new blank document based on the same template as the original document, but that risks losing the footnotes and headers/footers from the original.