How do I make the cursor visible while typing in word

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I am using office 365, word version 2310. I just noticed when I begin typing, even one letter, my cursor disappears immediately, and I can only get it back by moving my mouse or press Ctrl. Previously, I think I could see my cursor while typing. Would it be possible to make my crusor visible while typing?

I've tried the operations below:

1. turning on/off the 'smart cursoring'.

2. activate/unactivate 'hide pointer while typing' in 'pointer options'.

3. uninstall and reinstall office 365, repair/reset office 365.

4. turning off the HDR settings.

5. changing the display scale in 'display settings'.

6. lauching word in a safe mode. 

7. changing the regional settings. 

None of them works.

The funny thing is, when I am typing in Chinese characters, my cursor does not disappear at all, but even if I type one single English letter, the cursor disappears immediately. 

Additionally, I found the same behaviour when typing in notepad of windows. 

I know it might be a FEATURE to hide my cursor while typing, but is there any possible solution that I can make my cursor visible while typing? I just want to see my cursor. \

Thanks 

4 Replies
Have you tested reinstalling Office? Which version and update channel are you on?

Also sounds like a display driver issue too. Make sure all of your Windows updates are applied
Hi Matt, thank you very much for the respose! I've tried reinstall but unfortunately it does not work. Yes, I think the driver issue could be a reason, but I don't have that problem in Excel and PowerPoint, those two apps always keep my cursor visible.
Do you work for a company that could open a case with Microsoft? If not you could also rech out to our disability answer desk https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Accessibility/disability-answer-desk?activetab=contact-pivot%3aprima...

@XWswansea  I checked another document and the cursor was there and worked correctly. So I exited out of the problem document and waited a minute and opened and it was fine.  Hope that happened for you as well (because sooo annoying!).