Help - formatting first page to not be touched (but still editable) from the rest

Copper Contributor

I am creating a document in Microsoft Word. The document is a proposal packet for clients. I want to lock the first cover page, while making it still editable, from things being shifted onto it if that makes sense. I don't want any information from the rest of the pages coming up onto the cover page when I delete or move around other pages from the packet. Basically lock the first page from other information being dragged on it but still being able to edit... if possible

3 Replies
If you separate the first page from the balance of the document by inserting a Next Page Section Break, it will not be altered by changes to the text in the rest of the document.
A further way to minimize unwanted changes would be to use Content Controls in those areas of the first page that you want to allow the user to be able to make edits, and then select the first page and use the Group facility in the Controls section of the Developer tab of the ribbon. When that is done, while the user will be able to insert\edit text in the Content Controls, they will not be able to change the layout or other text on that page (unless they resort to removing the Group attribute from the page).

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP while it seems to work fine for the given problem, it does't solve mine - I'd like to have this page completely save, but updating style also updates underlying text, changing the protected arrangement. Is there something I can do? 

@imLooking4Someone 

I suggest posting your own question to get the best answers. Doug answered the question that was asked.

Basic Concepts of Microsoft Word - from Shauna Kelly

Your starting point.

Updating Styles should not change your text content, but perhaps you are talking about something other than Word Styles.