Unidentified Network

Copper Contributor

in every member windows server 2012R2,2016 box we experience the following, after a reboot, The network profile changes to public  from domain.  if I restart the "Network Location Awareness" service" then the network profile changes to domain. At that point remote desktop become available. It is very consistent. if I change the server address from static to DHCP then this problem disappears. I have checked DHCP and DNS server and I am not sure what I am looking for. I have updated firmware and drivers for all the NIC cards. Additionally I have changed the start up for service to delayed startup and still does the same. 

1 Reply

When NLA starts to detect the network location, the machine will contact a domain controller via port 389. If this detection is successful, it will get the domain firewall profile (allowing for correct ports) and we cannot change the network location profile. If the domain was not found or process failed, NLA will let you to determine which firewall profile will be used, private or public.

So I'd check the domain controller and problem client have the static address of DC listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS

You can also try restarting the Network Location Awareness service then check the profile again. Its possible on the first DC that NLA did checks before active directory domain services were available.