SOLVED

Evaluating Server 2022 interconnecting Hyper-V machines on different Windows 11 Pro Machines

Copper Contributor

Dear community,

I've installed two Hyper-V Servers each on five machines. They are all connected to the Internet through their host. Connectivity to their neighbouring hosts is not possible, let alone to their Hyper-V buddies.

This is the installation media used:

https://software-static.download.prss.microsoft.com/pr/download/20348.169.amd64fre.fe_release_svc_re...

I've had some Microsoft experience in the past but that is twenty years ago. I am picking this up as a side occupation for fun. Because it is fun when it works :)

Kind regards,

Bjarne Petersen

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Bjarne_Petersen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

You'll want to create an external vSwitch then plug the physical adapters into a common switch. When you create a new external vSwitch the internet protocols are removed from the adapter and the Hyper-V Extensible Switch protocol is added turning that physical port into a multi-port virtual switch. Connect your VMs to this vSwitch and use each VM's vEthernet to configure the addressing in the exact same manner as if it were a physical NIC                  

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jhoward/2008/06/17/hyper-v-what-are-the-uses-for-different-types...            

Hello Dave,
thank you for your quick reply.
I would not know where to create that external vSwitch bút;
The Hyper-V Extensible Switch protocol is available in the properties of the host NIC. It is unselected. When I do select it, and now it comes, it warns as:" Your current selection will also disable the following features: Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch"
The exact very thing we're trying to enable.

Do not edit any adapter properties. In Hyper-V Manager in the right-hand pane use Virtual Switch Manager to create a vSwitch    

@Bjarne_Petersen just checking if there's any progress or updates? please don't forget to mark helpful replies.       

The situation as of now is:
The vSwitch works!
Connectivity is good. Hosts systems communicate with eachother. Hosts communicate with vMachines. vMachines communicate with vMachines.

Glad to hear, thanks for coming back to let us know.   

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bjarne_Petersen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

You'll want to create an external vSwitch then plug the physical adapters into a common switch. When you create a new external vSwitch the internet protocols are removed from the adapter and the Hyper-V Extensible Switch protocol is added turning that physical port into a multi-port virtual switch. Connect your VMs to this vSwitch and use each VM's vEthernet to configure the addressing in the exact same manner as if it were a physical NIC                  

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jhoward/2008/06/17/hyper-v-what-are-the-uses-for-different-types...            

View solution in original post