SOLVED

Windows 11 Dev build Missing Taskbar

Copper Contributor

This has been happening the last month or so. Whenever I turn on my pc the taskbar does not show, I do not have access to the start menu, Windows Update, Windows Defender or my display settings. Im only running one monitor and I get the message "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action..." Im at a loss of what to do. I've been searching and only found one other person with the same issue as me and no fix mentioned. I've killed explorer.exe and restarted it and that sometimes fixes it. 

I'm currently on the latest dev build of win 11 and all of my drivers are up to date.

My PC specs:

MSI Tomahawk MAX

Ryzen 3600

EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3 Ultra

Triden z 16gb

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

94 Replies

I also have the same issue, other than explorer my Surface is now useless and I cant use it all all for work or any activites. @merk311 

That sucks. I'm glad I kept my repair user. I was able to use them to go into control panel and simply roll back the updates. Now the main user is good again. Did you get your system back to running with a restore point or ISO?

if they only seen a couple people with this issue, they wouldnt care. But since pretty much everyone is having this issue, they are on top of it. Im gonna have to pause the update on my laptop I use for work. Its a 7th gen i7 and everything is working perfect and I dont want to mess things up to where I need to pause my work just to have to fix it. I need it for car repair info
Ok there's a slight fix to this. Ctrl Alt Del, Open a new task type Control then go to Time and Date change the date to one month ahead. Taskbar should be back. Then I guess go to settings uninstall the update.
I'm quietly waiting for Microsoft's response to this before I'm going to use the iso. My system sadly didn't create a restore point and I don't know why.
That might have been a glitch but its worth a shot on trying for anyone thats having the issue as we speak
Yeah, it was just me and the OP with this problem exactly 30 days ago (Page 1 on the comments). Microsoft didn't care because it was such a low margin of people. Now that everyone is getting it they're on top of it like you said. Now that you're back, you can permanently pause Win updates with a quick trip to the registry.
Of course. Restore points are meant to for these specific reasons.
That's happened to me enough times to make me set up a restore and a full system backup before every big feature update lol.
Check out @JordanPascua 's "slight fix". I'm interested to know if this might work for everyone.
Explain how I can permanently pause it? I have it paused for 7 days but will have to restart and pause again next week if I remember lol
PS Sorry for any confusion. Just realized this account is signed into my personal acccount. My main (work) account is RyanTech_LLC Lol.
I'll try it tomorrow it's 4am right now and I'm tired thanks for the help.
Well, I did say regedit at first, but stopping the update service would actually be safer.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permanently-stop-windows-10-from-updating/35a3...

What worked for me was using the control panel to set the time to a day ahead. Sign out, then sign back in.@Pick1ehead 

Yeah when my windows is back I'll definitely stop the update service.
Yikes, get to bed, mate. Haha thank you for your help in troubleshooting this!
Haha thanks and good luck to the other with this problem.

That is great to hear @TheNewGuy ! Thanks for posting. Anyone have any clue how the time could be messing with the explorer UI?

NO CAN YOU HELP ME HOW TO DO IT