SOLVED

Windows 11 Dev build Missing Taskbar

Copper Contributor

This has been happening the last month or so. Whenever I turn on my pc the taskbar does not show, I do not have access to the start menu, Windows Update, Windows Defender or my display settings. Im only running one monitor and I get the message "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action..." Im at a loss of what to do. I've been searching and only found one other person with the same issue as me and no fix mentioned. I've killed explorer.exe and restarted it and that sometimes fixes it. 

I'm currently on the latest dev build of win 11 and all of my drivers are up to date.

My PC specs:

MSI Tomahawk MAX

Ryzen 3600

EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3 Ultra

Triden z 16gb

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

94 Replies
I'm having this same issue with the latest dev build. I've noticed none of the Windows 11 UI is accessible, only the Windows 10 UI that 11 builds on top of. For example, the Windows 10 right-click menu on the desktop or in windows explorer. Usually the new Windows 11 right-click appears first, with a option labeled something like "See more" to access the Windows 10 version.

To fix, I usually have to keep restarting until the taskbar actually loads, but I'll dig to task manager to try restating explorer.exe like you did. I tried setting up a new user, and it looks like the new user does not experience the same problem at all. Hopefully this info helps in your own troubleshooting.

@merk311   I just had the same problem occur. I cannot acccess my taskbar or any of my apps. Some apps dont work at all now.

Just happen to me today any fixes or just something we are gonna have to wait out?
Merk's method worked for me until I broke down and decided to to a soft reset (Keep all files, no programs).

Press CTRL + Shift + ESC to open task manager, then find explorer.exe and restart it. That was working for me 98% if the time, but I had to do it after every restart, so I just reset the PC and now it is working great. I remember similar (And much worse) problems when I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to the first Windows 10 release. Microsoft can never get a smooth OS transition right.

On the bright side, looking through the installed programs list I made with GeekUninstaller prior to the reset, I really needed a good wipe anyway. So much crap was on there I haven't used in years lol.
Yep I just updated my windows dev build and this happened. Nothing works anymore how are we able to fix this?!!!
Yeah I tried restarting explorer I even have a batch file that does it for me but it didn't help.
Same
best response confirmed by Simon Jackson (MVP)
Solution
now who are updated to newer build all have the same problem
we have to wait for solution from microsoft

I Control+Shift+Escape doesnt work for me. I am unable to get into Windows Restore or any of the options to reset my PC. Its not hardware. Its definately an issue. I closed explorer. But cant open any strt menu or taskbar settings to get anything done. I cant even reset if I wanted to. Thats what I get for "Testing" ! :) lol  @RyanTech_LLC 

I think that I fixed it guys. Please wait til I respond.
Do a hard restart (Hold in the power button) and try again. I was doing restarts like crazy back when I first upgraded last month.
You should be able to at least get task manager to open.
Yes but I even uninstalled the update and that didn't work I'm stuck now. Nothing that I can do.
Got the task manager open. Restarted Explorer but it didnt restart. Gonna have to reset or restore a Win10 build I guess.
There is something worth trying... Microsoft just released the Windows 11 ISOs. I had already reset when they released, so I don't know if it would help you, but I would recommend downloading the Windows 11 ISO for the Beta channel (Use Dev channel as a fallback if Beta does not work), sticking it on a USB with Rufus, and try using the system recovery tools from the ISO. Of course, that didn't help me in the past with Win 8.1 > Win 10, but it at least something to try I guess. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=kXQk...
Yeah Microsoft made a big oopsie.
They wouldn't be called "MIcrosoft" if they didn't ;)
True true haha.

This just started for me right now.Taskbar is blank and exlorer.exe is not respnding even after mulitple retarts. Cursor over the taskbar show busy pointer. If I right click the taskbat the screen flashes white. I can't use the computer at all! What now?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Simon Jackson (MVP)
Solution
now who are updated to newer build all have the same problem
we have to wait for solution from microsoft

View solution in original post