How to let windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons"?

Bronze Contributor

How to let windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons"?

1,318 Replies
I always have used Fedora with Gnome / Cinnamon or i3wm.

But in my work place, they forced me to use windows 10, and recently I got a new laptop with windows 11.

Put up a big fight to allow me to use Fedora with Gnome, primarily because of this lame removal of the option that was present in previous version.

@deadrat 

Good morning

I would really suggest staying on 11 and using explorer patcher to get back the whole taskbar with the nevercombine icons. 

:) 

Shawn

I have waited for this function since the Windows11 released. Actually, I used explorer patcher but it seem not to be official function, and it crash sometime. Microsoft do group the icon make the user take more time to select the windows, it really downgrade...

please bring this option back

It really hurts my productivity when I've got 4+ windows open of the same program, and I swap between them quite often, now it's pain to navigate between then using the taskbar.

+1 bring it back!

I just got a Windows 11 computer, and I deeply regret it. Not having this functionality is very weird, and I don't know why MICROSOFT THINKS I DON'T WANT TO SEE ALL OF MY OPEN TABS. PLEASE ADD IT IMMEDIATELY.

This thread has been open for so long, and the feature STILL isn't present. MS is so bad.
I wonder what 3rd party applications exist to add this since MS dropped the ball on this, and show no signs of walking back their mistake.
I wish I had enough foresight to avoid this problem. It's crazy how corporations are ready to make judgement calls about how to manage your desktop. I need to look into possibilities to downgrade to Win10, but I doubt a good one exists.

I have been using this Explorer Patcher for several months with no issues. It has restored the old functionality that I (and everyone else on this string) desperately needed. 

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

@Wake90 

Microsoft you have got to be kidding me. This is the single worst idea you have ever had. Why would you take away options and functionality from your users? The underlying code is already in your OS because it can be hacked back in with registry edits. This is just you taking away a basic feature because you want things to look pretty by default on a tablet. News Flash: Tablets suck. Sales people and executives that don't know any better use tablets. Everybody else who does actual work at a computer for their entire day uses a desktop. Don't alienate your primary user base. Goodbye windows 11 hello to you again windows 10. #uninstall
I thought it would come in the 22H2 update, but no. Now it's buy "StartIsBack". Bizarre Microsoft doesn't implement it again.

@jmariano2020 

Microsoft really sucks, they think what they like others also like it, I really hate it as I bought the new Laptop which comes with Windows 11, really painful going through 3rd party tools. The issue is not resolved. they create pain and nothing else, they must be sued for this.

Thanks

It's so unproductive not being able to see which window is which. Why are the windows mandatorily combined? It's been over a year now and Microsoft is not going to do anything about it? Disappointing.......

@huali1405 

please it's a real pain to use 3rd party apps to get this feature back. Combine buttons is only for people who do not need this feature, because they just have one or 2 tabs from the same app open. 
But I fear, that, MS has made up it's own mind, since there has been no progress on this topic for over a year.

I was hoping to get the setting back with the update... but no luck...
The lack of customisability of the taskbar is truly a shame.
Would have thought microsoft would have learned from win8 debacle. Tablets, phones and PCs are fundamentally different devices and trying to shoehorn interfaces without opening up the ability to customise things where they don't belong just doesn't work.
Why can't I:
1: change the size of my taskbar tiles?
2: ungroup taskbar tiles?
3: change the look of taskbar tiles so they look like win10 application "bars"
I subscribe to this. The combine option ruined my productivity.

Come on Microsoft, seriously, we need this small but SO important feature! I'm aware of the 3rd party "hacks", but don't want to use them - not all business users are allowed to install 3rd party tools and/or hack the registry for security reasons, among others. Please do bring the ungroup function back again, and stop hampering the productivity!

Ridiculous behavior towards their customers... But I was able to solve it... I downgraded to Windows 10...
Every time I get a new computer the FIRST thing I do is to change from the utterly unproductive useless "Combine" mode of the taskbar to the WONDERFUL very productive "uncombine" mode. The uncombine mode allows for MUCH better workflow. As you may have guessed, this is a new computer and I am very frustrated that I cannot easily uncombine the taskbar icons. PLEASE FIX THIS NOW! I don't want to have to install a third-party program just because someone at Microsoft thinks a "cleaner look" is more important than a productive, easy-to-multitask Taskbar. Whoever thought this was a good idea should lose their job, because it is NOT a good idea. One of the main reasons I have stuck with PCs instead of Apple is the freedom to alter programs so they are more user-friendly. Not having the ability to "never combine taskbar buttons" is the same intolerable paternalistic attitude toward software that keeps me away from Apple. If you are going to take up the infuriating paternalistic attitude of apple (which I despise) then I may as well get rid of my PCs and use the better-engineered Apple laptops.