Tech Community Live: Windows edition
Jun 05 2024, 07:30 AM - 11:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

How to let windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons"?

Bronze Contributor

How to let windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons"?

1,318 Replies
This needs to be a Windows 11 option. I'm considering uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 10 due to it.

@IRKodama you should revert to 10 soon - in 10 days they take that option away from you as well.  I waited too long, and am now stuck with 11.  After a year, I still hate it - taking away the never combine option has made me miss reminders and meetings in Outlook (the pop-up reminder window is hidden under a group of other Outlook windows), and I'm constantly hunting for the window I want in Excel and other programs.  Go back to 10 while you still can!

I second @StevenO59, revert while you still can.

@huali1405 .  Is there any fix yet for this? my Windows upgraded to 11 and now I am straggling with this grouping of task bar. I saw this issue reported since almost a year now but couldn't find any solution. 

please helppppp

No fix. You have to revert to win10 before it's to late.
I reverted to win10 in time and will not install/upgrade to win11 as long as this important functionality is missing.

@WillySkjthis isn't obviously the solution... It's not about users who upgraded and a simple downgrade (while they can) can fix their problem. We're here too, who bought a new laptop/desktop that came with Windows 11, and who never had the chance to buy it with Windows 10...

So obviously downgrading isn't the right solution... The solution is to have Microsoft hear our voices...

Personally, I'm mad at them, because I purchased a new laptop to do my job while on vacations, and can't use it the way I'm used to because of this problem... Plus, this issue made me not enjoy my purchase and the money I spent on my new laptop because some a$$holes at M$ don't listen to their customers' voices...

This is ridiculous...

And what's even more ridiculous and insane is that instead of adding new features, they removed some that worked well in Win7, Win10... And they call this progress... How crazy is this?

@microsoft, this make me very sad. 1000+ times a day this make me sad =(((((((((((( whyyyyyyyy

Seriously, please bring back this simple but helpful feature.

In that case I would install this:
https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher
Since MS wont, someone else did.
I tryed this on a virtual pc and it did work. Dont know what happends after win upgrades, you may have to reinstall it. Read about it and give it a try. I would for sure.

@WillySkj 

I've been using Explorer Patcher since the FIRST day I installed Win 11. The program works fine and is frequently updated. Yes, in case of a major Windows upgrade you have to reinstall it which is very easy to do.

Make no mistake, MS will NOT fix the "never combine" problem. So just install EP and everything will be back to normal. Stop "crying" and make this necessary step ahead

@knick95 >Stop "crying" and make this necessary step ahead

No one is 'crying'... we shouldn't have to use a 3rd party fix for a simple feature that so many people want back. And for those of us using work-issued PCs and laptops we absolutely cannot install 3rd party apps for security and licensing reasons. I'd argue that not having the never combine feature is more detrimental to those using Win11 for work, since there's so many of us who have reported missing meetings and reminders and having our productivity slowed down, which affects our performance. The extra clicks and hovering and mousing is also detrimental physically, increasing the risks to repetitive stress injuries like carpal tunnel (speaking as someone who hasn't had symptoms for years until I've been forced to use Win11 for a few months now).
No one is "crying" @knick95. I am a professional developer, I work with large companies, and their security departments do not allow errant third party apps to be installed on their machines. So, while you may be able to install anything you want on your Windows 11 machine in your Mom's basement, that isn't an option for a lot of us.
@knick95 the whole point of this forum is to make our voices heard. Your solution may work fine for you, but not for a lot who don't have the permissions to load 3rd party software, or who aren't comfortable with 3rd party software - and MS will never even consider fixing this if people don't express their frustration. While you call it crying, I call it making our voices heard - and the more people who do this, the more likely MS will get off their smug little Apple-wanabe a**s and make this change that people want!
The Explorer Patcher people trying to sell their product by belittling their potential customers is the funniest BS I've seen in a long time.

Perhaps ignoring is the best strategy.
Yes @Pernille-Eskebo please ring back "never combine taskbar buttons" again! You really need this option to multi task properly and keep track of what's open on the fly without having to hover over the task bar and the collapsed icon to see what is all open. I also find it dumb how if you have two of the same window open and you snap the windows left and right or wtv way you want that it just duplicates the previews on each icon collapsed seeing the same info double.
Oh look microsoft could not even reserve their own handler @Pernille-Eskebo on their own community lmfao no surprise.

Adding my complaint to the list. @Pernille-Eskebo has forgotten their customers aren't teenagers and DJs using Macs. We are business professional who need basic functions that make multi-tasking easier. Why would you remove this feature???

I bought a new laptop today and faced the same issue...after much frustration due to not having this issue resolved, the workaround I am working with is working with 2 browsers...I have synced both of them for my bookmarks, passwords etc., and now I am able to open desired windows and keep toggling between the 2 browsers...atleast this lets me work the way I used to work on windows 10.

Going to leave Windows 11.

Windows 10 is way more stable and usable.

@huali1405 Bring back "Never combine, please!"