Windows Update Trying to download and install Windows 10 updates on Windows 11 Laptop

Steel Contributor

All the support wants to do is reinstall my whole laptop which cannot be the only solution.  I've been running Windows 11 for 5 weeks now.  If I go into Windows Updates, it lists "Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2 is available" yet I am on Windows 11.  It is also trying to install drivers for Windows 10.  Running the Windows Update Troubleshooter did nothing.  

According to Run > Win Ver I am on Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2 (OS Build 22000.376).

Is there a way to completely reset Windows Updates so it starts checking for the correct version as everything is just Retry, Retry.  

4 Replies
I've renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder but no matter how many services I stop I cannot rename the catroot2. I've rebooted. I check for Windows updates again and it's listing Windows 10 drivers and updates with failures (obviously they can't be installed) and Retry. I can't even get it to check the right updates.

I had the same problem.  Download and install the Windows Update Reset Tool (Google it).  Run the tool and choose option 2.  When the tool is finished, close it and then run the Windows Update Troubleshooter built into Windows 11.  My updates worked normally after doing those two things.

@luvsql 

@stevegs , I have another way:"Just delete Windows.old folder in C: drive"