SOLVED

Settings.exe Crashing

Copper Contributor

Updated to the latest version over a week ago, settings refuses to open due to an apparent issue with the UI library. I'm not sure how to rollback or fix as virtually every guide I found involved accessing SystemSettings in some fashion. Advice on how to fix appreciated.

Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.22621.2792, time stamp: 0x3a143f4b
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.22621.2861, time stamp: 0xa6d20322
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x0000000000872d20
Faulting process id: 0x0x46A0
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA3B5D18FB7E6B
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
Report Id: a61625a4-37f2-4504-a76c-dccbca5c8706
Faulting package full name: windows.immersivecontrolpanel_10.0.6.1000_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

8 Replies
Does this problem start after you install the update?
Are you facing the same issue if you boot into Safe Mode?
The problem started after I installed the update. Upon booting into Safe Mode the same kind of issue occurs.
Try uninstall the update and see if that solve the problem?
Have a look at:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-uninstall-a-windows-update-c77b8f9b-e4dc-4e9f-a80...
Make sure report this issue using the Feedback Hub app too.
I uninstalled said update using wusa via the shell, but it seems like the issue is still persisting. Since I can't access settings whatsoever nor use links directing to settings it's quite problematic to say the least. Let me know if you have any further advice, I likely will report the issue using Feedback Hub.

@joshgrosz  

Is your build an Insider?

If so, this is a helpful discussion:

Build 26010 – Settings App Crash (Workaround Included) - Microsoft Community

Open the Command prompt as administrator and then type the following command:

sfc /scannow

Press enter and let it runs.

Tried it, and got "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." as an output. Unfortunately the issue is still present.

best response confirmed by joshgrosz (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Update: I grabbed the latest Win11 iso from https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11, mounted it, and did a fresh reinstall which fixed my issue. While probably not the most ideal and time-effective solution, it certainly worked. Prior to this I tried reinstalling the specific erroneous package per Event Viewer, but ran into yet another error regarding local system account not being able to execute said command despite being in an administrator shell on root user. If there is an alternate, better fix that allows one to remain on their current Windows Version, or perhaps one for the specific issue aforementioned (which if resolved potentially may eliminate the need for a reinstall) please let me know as it may be of use to others with the same issue/s :lol:

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by joshgrosz (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Update: I grabbed the latest Win11 iso from https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11, mounted it, and did a fresh reinstall which fixed my issue. While probably not the most ideal and time-effective solution, it certainly worked. Prior to this I tried reinstalling the specific erroneous package per Event Viewer, but ran into yet another error regarding local system account not being able to execute said command despite being in an administrator shell on root user. If there is an alternate, better fix that allows one to remain on their current Windows Version, or perhaps one for the specific issue aforementioned (which if resolved potentially may eliminate the need for a reinstall) please let me know as it may be of use to others with the same issue/s :lol:

View solution in original post