Tech Community Live: Windows edition
Jun 05 2024, 07:30 AM - 11:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

How can I convert MBR to GPT during windows 11 installation?

Copper Contributor

I'm in the process of installing Windows 11 but have run into an issue with my hard drive's partition style. My drive is currently formatted with MBR (Master Boot Record), and I need to convert it to GPT (GUID Partition Table) to proceed with the Windows 11 installation. I want to ensure that I don't lose any data in the process. Does anyone have a reliable method or any tips on how to convert my hard drive from MBR to GPT during the Windows 11 installation, I would really appreciate your guidance.

13 Replies

I see. If you want to convert MRB to GPT during windows 11 without losing data, you can do what I did by backing up the data on your computer and then convert MRB to GPT. About how to convert MRB to GPT during windows 11, you can use the Windows 11 Installation Media, it helps me a lot. During the Windows 11 installation process, you'll have the option to convert your MBR disk to GPT.
Here's how:

• Boot from installation media.
  • Select "Custom" install.
  • Select MBR disk.
  • Click "Change" > "Convert disk to GPT".
Before you convert MRB to GPT during windows 11 installation, ensure your system is configured to boot in UEFI mode rather than Legacy BIOS mode. GPT is typically used with UEFI, while MRB is used with BIOS.
Okay, as I know, GPT disks have a maximum size limitation of 18 exabytes (EB), whereas MBR disks have a maximum size limitation of 2 TB. If you're working with larger disks, You may encounter problems converting MRB to GPT.

@Molle_Clayton 

Oh, converting the MBR to GPTduring windows 11 installation can definitely throw a wrench in your installation plans! To convert your drive without losing data, you’ll want to be extra careful. Here’s a method using Microsoft’s MBR2GPT tool which is pretty reliable:

This tool is built into Windows 10 and later, so it’s specifically designed for this job. You can use it directly from the Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) or from the Windows 10 installation media itself.

Here’s how to do it:

1. Boot from your Windows installation media and shift to the repair/troubleshoot option.
  2. Open the Command Prompt.
  3. Type mbr2gpt /convert /disk:0 (replace 0 with your disk number if it’s different).
  4. This command should convert your drive to GPT without losing data.

After conversion, ensure your BIOS is set to UEFI mode, not Legacy or CSM, to boot from the GPT drive.

Press shift+ F10 key to open command prompt app from the installation wizard. Now, you can use the built-in mbr2gpt tool for converting MBR to GPT during windows 11 installation. You can also skip this requirement by booting your computer in legacy boot mode.

Converting a Master Boot Record (MBR) partition table to a GUID Partition Table (GPT) can be a bit tricky, but it's definitely possible with a Linux Live USB.

Step 1: Create a Linux Live USB and boot your computer from this drive.

Step 2: Once you've booted into the Linux Live USB, open a terminal and run the following command to identify the MBR partition table. This will display a list of disks and their corresponding partition tables.  Find the disk that contains the MBR partition table you want to convert.

sudo parted -l

Step 3: Use the gdisk command to convert the MBR partition table to GPT. Replace /dev/sda with the actual device name of your disk:

sudo gdisk /dev/sda

Step 4: gdisk will ask you to confirm that you want to convert the MBR partition table to GPT. Type 'y' and press Enter to confirm.

Now, you can install Windows 11 on this drive after successfully converting mbr to gpt.

I am using Gparted and it is good for converting mbr to gpt. It is a free, open-source partition editor that allows users to manage disk partitions graphically. It supports a wide range of file systems and provides functionality to create, resize, move, and delete partitions.

https://gparted.org/livecd.php

gparted.png

GParted provides a powerful and user-friendly interface for managing disk partitions, including converting from MBR to GPT. By following the steps outlined above, you can safely and effectively convert your disk while taking advantage of GParted's comprehensive partition management features. Remember to back up your data before performing disk operations to prevent any potential data loss.

In my experience, using GParted to convert MBR to GPT during Windows 11 installation can easily lead to boot issues, especially if the boot loader or operating system relies on MBR-specific functionality. After the conversion, you may need to update the boot loader or fix the boot configuration.
Hit the Windows key, type "Disk Management," and press Enter. Find your drive in the list, right-click on it, and select "Convert MRB to GPT Disk." Follow the prompts, and boom, you're done!
No response, which means the problem is still there, and If you're using a Linux distribution, you can use tools like gparted or parted to convert MBR to GPT.
After converting MRB to GPT, older operating systems or BIOS systems may not be able to boot from the disk. This isn't usually a concern for modern systems, but it's something to be aware of if you have specific compatibility requirements.
EaseUS Partition Manager (69.95 USD) is a powerful and user-friendly disk management tool that offers a range of features to help you manage your hard drive partitions with ease. One of the key features of EaseUS Partition Manager is its ability to convert MBR to GPT disks.

As a reliable and easy-to-use MBR to GPT conversion tool, its intuitive interface and step-by-step wizard make it easy to convert your MBR disk to GPT without risking data loss or corruption. You can rest assured that your conversion will be done safely and efficiently, with minimal disruption to your system.

There are many free alternatives to partition manager. This program is too costly. In fact, it is free to make a bootable Windows PE, such as Ultimate Boot CD, which includes many disk managements software that help you convert mbr to gpt. Once it is done, you can start installing windows 11 without any problem.