Desktop switcher doesn't show background

Copper Contributor

I recently upgraded to W11 and now whenever I want to switch desktops, or create new ones, my background does not show up on the desktop switcher. It doesn't affect my workflow, just my OCD. Is there a way of fixing this?

8 Replies

Seconding this, I first encountered the problem after cleaning the "Thumbnails" cache with the official Windows "Disk Cleanup" utility.

However, I am unable to get Windows to update the cache, even after changing the background image several times:

A screenshot of the Desktop Switcher showing two desktops with missing wallpapers.A screenshot of the Desktop Switcher showing two desktops with missing wallpapers.

Does anyone know a method to force Windows to re-generate the thumbcache?

I have the same issue and looking for a resolution.
Has anyone found a fix?
Got the same issue, looking for a resolution.

I just figured it out (at least this worked for me)! I had to go to Personalization>Background and select the image again and it acts like it's uploading the image to the desktop. In task view (desktop switcher), it shows up again!

For me, this fixed it:
File Explorer > 3 dots > Options > View > Uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

I guess Windows is using the same thumbnails that are generated in File Explorer for the desktop switcher... Might try to file a bug report with this info.

Having the same issue. Anyone has any luck? @Giacomod 

@Giacomod open explorer>options>view - then uncheck the box (always show icons, never thumbnails)

open explorer>options>view - then uncheck the box (always show icons, never thumbnails)