after installing KB5031217 and KB5030219 mintty terminals freeze clickability in windows explorer

Copper Contributor

Today, 2023 sep 13, after installing on windows 11 :

• 2023-09 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5031217)
  • 2023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5030219)

I've noticed that opening a mintty terminal, such as git bash or one of the msys2 terminals, while that window is open, I can't click icons and buttons in many explorer windows, and even inside some programs.

Restarting windows did not solve the problem : if I reopen a mintty terminal the issue returns.

Restarting windows explorer from task manager (both with command restart and by separately killing it and then relaunching it) neither solved the issue : if a mintty terminal is open the issue remains.

Closing the mintty terminal solves the problem, but the point is that I'd like to use it and keep it open.

I've tried to launch git bash from inside windows terminal, with the command in its shortcut :

C:\programs\Git\git-bash.exe --cd-to-home

but same effect : clicking in explorer windows is like freezed.

I've also tried to reinstall git to get git-bash fixed, but it didn't help. Just few minutes before the windows 11 update, everything worked just fine, so I suspect it's inside one of the two updates (the cumulative for windows 11 ?).

Another part of the problem, perhaps related to the first, is that if I click inside the black background area of the mintty terminal, the terminal window freezes (one can't type in it anymore).

To solve that, it's sufficient to click on the window title bar, and the window returns like focused and typing works. But again, it's an annoying problem that has just appeared with the two aforementioned installations.

Can you please fix this issue ? And when ?

Thanks, Marco

3 Replies
Perhaps I've figured out what had happened : I had also started the update of microsoft edge (brought to Version 116.0.1938.81 (Official build) (64-bit)). I've entered the about page and a message showed telling that it was finishing the update of the browser (this some hours after I had given the update command). Perhaps the edge installation had destabilized some component of the mintty terminals or of windows explorer. Entering the about page has started the completion of edge's update and after this mintty terminals no longer cause problems to explorer.
I have the same problem with the explorer, when I right click on the Windows desktop it only updates the screen as if I had pressed F5. It happens since I installed this same update
Windows keeps installing KB5030219 for me, but each time it does, after restarting, everything is broken. Windows Explorer looks different, doesn't have the tabs feature anymore, keyboard shortcuts don't work... also the start menu doesn't open. The only thing I can do is open cmd by using windows key + r and then do everything in the commandline. Also it even installs this update after I've halted updates for 1 week and even when using the "wushowhide" tool for stopping windows from installing certain updates. Send help :(