Tech Community Live: Windows edition
Jun 05 2024, 07:30 AM - 11:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

A Serious Bug in Windows Explorer

Copper Contributor

屏幕截图_20240517_225911.pngWhen you need an icon (thumbnail) that displays a picture or video file, it can't be displayed and Windows Explorer keeps loading. When you right-click on such a file, Windows Explorer freezes.

11 Replies
There is some additional information: Windows11 23H2 Home Edition,22631.3593. This glitch appears to have occurred after a recent system update.

@Grey_Strauss even .pptx.屏幕截图_20240517_233106.png

OK,i am writting to show the way to solve the problem. Firstly, i uninstalled vmware workstation pro, which was installed in E disk. It made the E disk generate more than 60 GB of available space. However, the problem was still exist in my computer but may be "lightened". Then, i realized the time when the bug occurred is i recorded a video and saved it in a folder named "垃圾桶"(dustbin but not the recycle bin) in my destop. In fact, after i saved the video, when i open the folder named "垃圾桶", the windows explorer loading infinitely. So, i deleted the whole folder and more unnecessary files, just like somg pdfs and some videos. After that, my computer was back to normal. Until now, i have no idea of the cause of the trouble. And, if developers of win11 see my article, please try to find out the reason why the bug occurred. Well, although the bug has been solved, i don't know when will the bug will occurred next time. @Grey_Strauss 

Last but not least, it's not entirely good, when I open a folder with a lot of images and then another folder with .mp4 and some .pptx, etc., the thumbnails of the .mp4 won't load again, but this time going back to the desktop and right-clicking won't freeze the desktop.
I wonder if the virtual machine was causing some threading issues with your operating system? Windows can only do so much at once since all the source files Link Dynamically. That's the reason they made Windows Implantations Libraries (https://github.com/microsoft/wil). It allows for multiple functions to be named the same thing. It sure is a sophisticated machine.
I also have the same issue, how did you fix?

It would probably be easier to reinstall windows by searching so on the taskbar for reset and keeping files, than trying to fix .dll files. Something is corrupted. You may have to reinstall some programs I'm not sure but something is corrupted. It's written in Microsoft's C++ and that's that best I can do. I got an email and I'm new. @Escobar550 

I guess the problem may have occurred in a recent system update, the modification date of the explorer.exe on my computer is 2024/4/25, which coincides with the time when the failure occurred and the time of the system update.
This is the reason why not upgrading to the latest version. Some weird and annoying problem comes out when installing a new update. I am currently with 21H2 and everything works fine.

Hello everyone. Now let me describe the final solution to this problem. First of all, we know that this issue arose after a system update in late April 2024. The symptoms are as above and will not be repeated. Then, about the solution. On May 30th, ASUS pushed me an update called "OpenGL/vulkan Settings". After installing this update, the issue was resolved.@Grey_Strauss 

Sometimes, the thumbnail cache gets corrupted. You can clear it out by opening the Disk Cleanup tool, selecting your system drive (usually C:), and checking the box for "Thumbnails" before hitting OK.