Windows Update error (Your device is missing important security and quality fixes)

Copper Contributor

Cant update- 

Cumulative update preview for windows 10 version 20H2 for x64 - based systems (KB5004296)

Any solution?

Arush47_1-1627917292387.jpeg

29 Replies
I suggest using the "Media Creation Tool", either way it will get to the latest version and fix any corrupted files.

@j_z_y thank you for this I had this issue for about a month and the update tool fixed it for me. 

@JosePinos55  The registry key \HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate gives an error "Invalid Key" in Windows 10 Pro.  Is there a different key for this version of Windows?

Thank you.

It seems a network issue. Please pause the update for one week and check if the new update is downloaded or not.

@JosePinos55 This worked perfect for me, but I am trying to figure out a way to run it across several machines at once. I dont know how so many machines ended up in this state as I am new to my role here but I know it has worked on about 15 machines I have ran this against. If anyone has a suggestion for me to chase I am very greatful for any guidance you may have for me. 

All i know:
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter: Windows includes a built-in tool for detecting and resolving typical Windows Update errors. To access it, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update, and then select the "Run the troubleshooter" button.

Clear the Windows Update cache: Sometimes, corrupt Windows Update cache files can prevent updates from downloading and installing correctly. To clear the cache, open the Command Prompt as an administrator, and then type "net stop wuauserv" followed by "net stop cryptSvc" and "net stop bits". Then, navigate to the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder and rename the "Download" folder to "Download.old". Finally, return to the Command Prompt and type "net start wuauserv", "net start cryptSvc", and "net start bits" to restart the necessary services.

Check for available disk space: Windows updates require a certain amount of free space on your hard drive to install properly. Ensure that you have enough free space on your system drive (usually C:) to accommodate the update.

Disable security software temporarily: Sometimes, third-party security software can interfere with the update process. Try disabling your antivirus or firewall temporarily and then attempt to run Windows Update again.

@JosePinos55no errors doing each command. Rebooted 2 times after just incase. Did not fix the issue.

Just change the Name of the Software Distribution Folder, which is a crucial component of Windows that houses the files necessary for Windows updates. Managed quietly by the Windows Update Agent in the background, this folder occasionally might block new updates from installing.

This issue often arises when there's a mismatch between the Windows Datastore folder and the Download folder.