Windows Update error (Your device is missing important security and quality fixes)

Copper Contributor

Cant update- 

Cumulative update preview for windows 10 version 20H2 for x64 - based systems (KB5004296)

Any solution?

Arush47_1-1627917292387.jpeg

29 Replies

Hello @Arush47 

Please run the below commands in CMD. Ensure you run CMD as an admin. These commands will delete the Windows Update registry log on your machine and then next time you click on check for updates, WU will check against the entire WU database.

Reg delete HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

yes

Net stop wuauserv >NUL

Cd C:\windows

rmdir softwaredistribution /s /q

Net start wuauserv >NUL

I am sure this will help. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Jose 

it did not work for me i need help

You can try these methods to troubleshoot your Windows 10 update issue:

Method 1: Run SFC Scan.

To run an SFC scan, follow these steps:

Run Command Prompt as Administrator.

Type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

This will check and run an auto-repair on the issue.

Method 2: Run DISM Tool.

After running the SFC scan and the issue still persist, run the DISM to check the system health and to try restoring the files. To run DISM tool, follow these steps:

Run Command Prompt as Administrator.

Type the following commands:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

NOTE: This might a while to finish scanning. Do not cancel.

Method 3:

After doing Method 1 and Method 2 but the issue still persist, you can manually reset the Windows Update Components and Run Windows Update process again.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix those corrupted Components and will help the Update installation quickly. To reset Windows Update Components, follow these steps:

Run Command Prompt as Administrator

Stop BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands:

Net stop wuauserv

Net stop cryptSvc

Net stop bits

Net stop msiserver

Rename SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. To do this, type the following commands:

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

Restart BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands:

Net start wuauserv

Net start cryptSvc

Net start bits

Net start msiserver

Restart your computer and try to install Windows Update.

Let us know how it goes.

@JosePinos55 

So I recently reinstalled windows10, and have the issue described. I went through all three solutions, and each time, something new was updated/changed, and I still have the same notification. My version is 1909, and OS build is 18363.1556

I had this problem for a long time and tried many different methods. The problem is that Windows Update, when it fails, does not provide enough error information. I found out that if one uses the online Windows Update (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, then choose Update now), it may give you additional information about why the update failed. In my case, it said "You can't install Windows on a USB flash Drive using setup". A little search revealed that it was caused by HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\PortableOperatingSystem was set to 1. After changing it to 0, I went through the online update successfully. Hope this helps.
9 Best Ways to Fix Windows 10 Update Error
1. CHECK INTERNET CONNECTION
2. HAVE ENOUGH SPACE ON THE DEVICE
3. PAUSE WINDOWS UPDATES
4. USE WINDOWS UPDATE TROUBLESHOOTER
5. RESTART DEVICE
6. START WINDOWS UPDATE SERVICE
7. UNPLUG EXTRA HARDWARE
8. CHECK DEVICE MANAGER FOR ERRORS
9. CHECK WINDOWS UPDATE LATER

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

@j_z_y 

Your advice was simple, easy to perform and fix a problem with Windows 10 updates I was struggling for 1 month to solve. I really appreciate your expertise. Thank you.

Andrei

@JosePinos55   I tried all and still have the same problem Also lost Chrome in the process

So does this also update the PC or just make sure I have the latest ver of Win 10? Thanks
Windows 10 2022 Update | Version 22H2
The Update Assistant can help you update to the latest version of Windows 10. To get started, click Update now.
FYI when run reg update again still get Your device is missing important security and quality fixes.
Apologize as update had not finished. When did worked and error went away on reg update window. *****
Same thing happened to me when I ran the online windows update. Went to registry to fix and there is no "PortableOperatingSystem". Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you so much, I was very grateful for this as I tried every solution I could think of to solve my windows update problem but nothing worked, and then I came across this comment which solved it.

@JosePinos55 

it did not work for me either and still i need help  I also downloaded the Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5004296), ran it with error message "will not work on your system!

@JosePinos55  I have problem with my windows10 to update it (Your device is missing important security and quality fixes)

I Tried different way but i couldn't able to fix it 

thank you 

zahidullah zahid 

@j_z_y 

Your solution same my life :) 

I had Windows 10 installed recently from the BOX package over old Windows 7 with OEM license. Everything got OK, but realized, this was quite old production and old Win10 release. I used your link and ... it let my Windows installation to get the latest update (last quality and features update meant for Windows 10. Then I got additionally 2 cumulative updates and that's was. Now I'm told to be up to date and will get in the future only security updates :) I lost some licenses for apps in the process but it was not a problem to reactivate them. In the future I will may be able to install Win11. If Microsoft accepts my i7-6700 processor and I install the TPM 2.0 module on my mobo, which is the simpliest thing from all :) For sure I will not buy a new PC, because my current one is running like a hell (even being 5 years old but upgraded with SSD and new graphic card).

Thanks a lot for your hint. It was a real hit :)

mine has the same issue any ideas yet?
I had the same issue. I had no "PortableOperatingSystem" in my registry and I solved it by adding the "PortableOperatingSystem" file manually. You can give it a try if you have the same problem.