SOLVED

Windows 10 Version 1809, Remote Desktop Connection not working from PC but working fine from macOS.

Copper Contributor

Updated yesterday to version 1809,

Remote Desktop Connection from another Windows 10 version 1809 not working.

It looks like connected, but the whole screen is blank and the mouse cursor become hourglass then about 1 minute later, lost connection. Then trying to re-establish the connection, but the screen is still black. This time mouse cursor even stuck and not showing in the screen. 

75 Replies

I have the exact same problem. Win 10- 1809.

Upon opening mstsc windows client and the app store version, both freeze completely and are unusable. I am connected to an l2tp Meraki vpn and also via l2tp Windows 2012 vpn. I cannot even use the rdp client without these vpn connections either. It completely freezes on open.  As soon as I begin to enter an address, it stops responding. After waiting a very long time, I can slowly get the address in but if I hit connect, it stops responding again. Very frustrating issue....

@ImSkiZZeR It has been fixed in Windows 10 Version 1903. Use the Windows Update Assistant to update to this version: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

@Euclid Mat 

You are wrong, Windows 1903 RDP is not working with Lenovo and HP laptops bind to the domain.

Any time received a black screen, We tray all possible workaround with no success.

MS please update and fix the issue!!! 

My experience is exactly same. After 1903 is updated, can't connect anymore to Lenovo X301 or X61s.

I don't think this has been fixed in 1903. While the "entire screen is black" problem may be gone, the "RDP connection randomly hangs for a few seconds or even needs a reconnect" problem is still there.

Microsoft has STILL not fixed the UDP MTU negotiation issue they introduced in 1809. It still sometimes does not work reliably.

@Euclid Mat wrote:

@ImSkiZZeR It has been fixed in Windows 10 Version 1903. Use the Windows Update Assistant to update to this version: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

@KokichAgree we see same. 1809 worked no problem, upgrade to 1903 is black screen.

UDP change did not fix, kb4482887 not applicable.

Found workaround here; http://www.surfacetablethelp.com/2019/06/remote-desktop-black-screen-in-windows-10-1903-update.html

Change display driver to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. This is not suitable for production as dual screen no longer works.

Our fault is with Intel Q45/Q43 Express chipset.

Try drop the client resolution on RDC option under Display. Default is fullscreen which in some case client cannot follow the host current resolution. In my case, host resolution is 2560*1440, then connenction to client were black and auto exit RDC. My client graphic just use G31 chipset built in motherboard. I try to reduce to 1920*1200 then it connected flawlessly. So i conlude host client max resolution is the main cause of my RDC black screen issue.

Thank you for the suggestion. I given it a try but unfortunately does not work for us.

@Harry Kim 

Hey Harry,

• Rebooting temporarily fixes the problem.

• Disabling bitmap caching or changing resolution on RDP client.

• Pressing CTRL + ALT + END doesn't do anything.

• Created a new account and tried logging on to that to test if it is account related.

• try doinf a sfc /scannow to do a system scan and fix corrupt files.

Regards,

Akshay

System Admin | Apps4Rent

Hi,

I have the same problem after updating to 1903, "Turn Off UDP On Client" did not help for me.

@MasterMysterious 

Thanks for the link, they are talking about a black screen, and we cannot connect at all.

@DaveL3312The problem we are discussing in this thread is this:

It looks like connected, but the whole screen is blank and the mouse cursor become hourglass then about 1 minute later, lost connection. Then trying to re-establish the connection, but the screen is still black. This time mouse cursor even stuck and not showing in the screen.

If this is not the problem you are having, then you made a terrible error when you wrote, "I have the same problem after updating to 1903". You do not have the same problem. Consider opening another thread for your problem.

@Harry Kim 

Change Firewall Settings Windows Firewall is also one of the most common causes of Remote Desktop problems.

If Remote Desktop is blocked by Firewall, you won’t be able to connect it with another device. To check if Windows Firewall blocked Remote Desktop, do the following:

Go to Search, type firewall and open Windows Defender Firewall.

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons Windows 10 Go to Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall. Windows 10 RDP client not working Click on Change Settings.

RDP this computer can't connect to the remote computer Find Remote Desktop, check it, and click OK to save changes. Remote Desktop not working after Windows 10 upgrade Now try to connect your computers via Remote Desktop, and it should work.

@Harry Kim 

I've been struggling with something similar for some time. The upgrade to Windows 10 1903 made no difference. Disabling UDP and changing the display emulation on my 3 VMs (all running Windows 10 1903 as well) also had no effect. The RDP connection appears to freeze on the login screen and requires a reboot of the VM.

Today I found a fix by deleting the stored profiles on the client PC, remaking them and ticking the "Always ask for credentials" box. I can now connect to all 3 VMs, entering the login password when prompted. If I revert to not asking for credentials (I.e. storing the passwords) the login freeze returns.

Check of Windows Defender Firewall rules revealed that ones for Remote Desktop were disabled after I did update to version 1903. After enabling them RDP started working.