SOLVED

Authenticating with an access token Connect-MicrosoftTeams

Brass Contributor
Has anyone tried authenticating with an access token (using -AadAccessToken or -MsAccessToken)? The old version of New-CsOnlineSession had an -OAuthAccessToken param, which accepted a jwt with the PS permissions in the scope, which one could obtain silently, and so avoid login.

New-CsOnlineSession has been dropped and the SfB Connector is end of life in July and Connect-MicrosoftTeams does appear to support token for the telephony functions.
135 Replies

Here is the documentation for using app-based auth with 4.7.1.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-powershell-application-authentication

"For *-Cs cmdlets - no API permissions are needed."

"The application needs to have the appropriate RBAC roles assigned."

The first I've realized that you can assign AAD RBAC roles to an application.

"limited set of cmdlets in preview"

"Cmdlets Supported
All Non *-Cs cmdlets (for example, Get-Team), Get-CsTenant, Get-CsOnlineUser, Get-CsOnlineVoiceUser & *-CsOnlineSipDomain cmdlets are already supported. Other cmdlets will be gradually rolled out."

I was able to connect with CertificateThumbprint and run a Get-CsOnlineUser. However, I need several other -Cs cmdlets. I suppose I need some more patience!

This error is most likely caused by the module trying to find the "UPN" value of the token, which is the user name of the respective account. Since the authorization flow takes place within the context of a user, the token has a UPN, which allows this flow to work. There is no user context or UPN involved with the client credentials, which leads to the credentials not working.

@Robert Leist 

i'm getting "access denied" for Get-CsOnlineUser, Get-Team works.

what permissions did you add to your app ?

i'm working with a developer account, do you know if that would be a constraint ?

thanks

In the article "Application-based authentication in Teams PowerShell Module" (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-powershell-application-authentication), in the "Setup Application-based authentication" section, can anyone clarify/elaborate:
1. "Assign API permissions to the application": Do the listed permissions need to be application permissions with subsequent admin consent granted or delegated permissions?
2. "Assign Azure AD roles to the application": How do you do this? Can anyone provide links to additional documentation?
Like @lazedo, I get "access denied" with Get-CsOnlineUser, and suspect permissions and roles aren't set up properly. I'm using MicrosoftTeams v4.7.1 and authenticating via access tokens. Thanks.

@Andres Bohren 

GET-TEAM works fine for me. However I get below error for Get-CsOnlineUser. Have given RBAC role to the app. I am using Pwsh on linux.

Get-CsOnlineUser: Connecting to remote server api.interfaces.records.teams.microsoft.com failed with the following error message : MI_RESULT_FAILED For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

Answer to question 2: Azure Portal > Azure Active Directory > Roles and Administrators > Search for the Teams Administrator role and select it > Add assignments > Click on the "No member selected" link > Search for your teams management service principle previously set up > Click on its tile > Click Select > Click Next > Select Active > Check Permanently Assigned or set start and end dates as needed > Type in a justification > Click Assign. Azure global administrators will get an email an a minute or two from the Azure Privileged Identity Management service when it's set up. This makes Get-CsOnlineUser work with both token-based and certificate-based authentication as described in the above article. Adding the service principle to the Skype for Business Administrator role does not appear to be necessary, at least for present purposes.

@Dr. Jeffry A. Spain 

Hi, assigning "Teams Administrator" to service principal (appid) does work.

but this is not going to solve the user experience part.

Tenant A - creates the app and publishes it

Tenant B - grants admin consent on the app

Tenant A - tries to manage teams settings and gets unauthorized

Tenant A - cannot get into Tenant B and add the service principal to Tenant Administrators, Tenant B admin needs to do this

this should be done automatically when Tenant B admin grants admin consent but there's no permission available that Tenant A could provide that would do this.

getting better but still this ux is not what we're seeking for over a year.

Hi All,

Here is my Blog how to do App Authentication with a Certificate in the Microsoft Teams PowerShell Module in Preview 

https://blog.icewolf.ch/archive/2022/09/28/microsoft-teams-powershell-module-4-7-1-preview-with-azur...

MicrosoftTeams_4.7.1_Preview_10.jpg

For now only a few commandlets work.

All Non *-Cs cmdlets (for example, Get-Team), Get-CsTenant, Get-CsOnlineUser, Get-CsOnlineVoiceUser & *-CsOnlineSipDomain cmdlets are already supported. Other cmdlets will be gradually rolled out.

Regards

Andres

*-Cs cmdlets are not working for me. I keep getting the same error: "Tenant Domain is empty".

I am trying to authenticate using tokens. Any idea on what am I missing?

Thank you,
i had the same, remove the permission for "Skype and Teams Tenant Admin API" and use ad roles

@lazedo I removed the "Skype and Teams Tenant Admin API" from my app permissions and assigned the AD Role "Skype for Business administrator" to my app. Still the same error.

Does this work on multi-tenant cases? Or this will only work with the tenant that owns the app? 

you may need to re-apply the admin consent and remove the extra permission. it works only for the tenant where you assigned the AD Role which is pretty bad and does not address the initial issue reported more than a year go. to manage other tenants you need to go into the other tenant and assign the AD Roles there too to the service principal.
Its working now, but I was expecting this to work with multi-tenants. I guess we will have to wait.
if you have two tenants (one acting as provider of app and another acting as consumer) you can try it and it works. get consent admin from consumer for provider app, then add the AD Role to the principal created on consumer tenant. you can now manage both tenants (just change the -TenantId). what we're expecting is that the admin consent from the consumer will give the provider permissions for mange the teams settings without extra setup (asking the consumer to add the service principal to AD Role).
Can anyone in Microsoft please share some information on, when then cmdlet, Grant-CsOnlineVoiceRoutingPolicy, will be available with App Based Authentication using certificate?

Currently its only available in none-interactive scripts using Client Secret !!!!