SOLVED

Microsoft Teams support now available for Surface Hub

Steel Contributor

According to the Surface Hub Update History, the August 2018 cumulative update brings support for Microsoft Teams meetings on Surface Hub.

I should note that I haven't yet tried this on a release build, so I don't know yet if the instructions for the Insider Preview build are the same, or if this even works fully (as there are no instructions yet in the admin guide).

For those wanting to try, you will need to install the Microsoft Teams for Surface Hub (Preview) app from the Microsoft Store, and you'll also need to configure 2 SurfaceHub CSP settings (either via MDM or provisioning package):

./Vendor/MSFT/SurfaceHub/Properties/SurfaceHubMeetingMode

Set to integer, values below:

0 - Skype for Business is the preferred app on the Surface Hub's Start Screen, however you can still join Microsoft Teams meetings.
1 - Microsoft Teams is the preferred app on the Surface Hub's Start Screen, however you can still join Skype for Business meetings.
2 - Microsoft Teams is the exclusive app on the Surface Hub's Start screen and Skype for Business is disabled

./Vendor/MSFT/SurfaceHub/Properties/VtcAppPackageId

Set to string. Value must be Microsoft.MicrosoftTeamsforSurfaceHub_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Team

@Yoav Barzilay has made an excellent blog post showing all the steps here. I thoroughly recommend reading through this before deploying Teams.

If anyone gives this a go, let us know below how you get on!

D

37 Replies

Hey all,

Anyone else encountered the same issue as me....?

- Checked the patch level of the hub to meet the criteria. 

- Installed Teams from the Windows Store, was sure to not run Teams at any stage.

- Using the provided provisioning packages I took "Mode 0" and copied it to a USB, from the hub installed the provisioning packaged and rebooted the Hub.

There is no mention of Teams being installed on the Start Menu, I would expect this under Mode 0 right? I can see it installed under Installed Apps and via the Windows Store. From my desktop I created a Teams meeting and invited the hub in question to that meeting, I have provided the Hub account with the necessary Teams license yet when I attempt to join the meeting it tells me that it's not a Skype meeting and that's it, no mention of Teams at all. I've followed these steps on 2 of my Hubs now and I'm getting no where.

Any thoughts anyone?

@Yoav Barzilay wrote:

Yes, we have the Microsoft Teams app available for all Surface Hubs running with Windows 10 Team Edition 1703.15063.1292. To make sure you're there, check you have KB4343889 installed on your Surface Hubs.

The instructions @Daniel Hudson mentioned will work for this version, by either using MDM or the pre-configured PPKG files.

Make sure you choose the functionality mode that works best for you :)

@Yoav Barzilay wrote:

Yes, we have the Microsoft Teams app available for all Surface Hubs running with Windows 10 Team Edition 1703.15063.1292. To make sure you're there, check you have KB4343889 installed on your Surface Hubs.

The instructions @Daniel Hudson mentioned will work for this version, by either using MDM or the pre-configured PPKG files.

Make sure you choose the functionality mode that works best for you :)

Hi @Myles Taylor , 

When installing Teams on Surface Hub it will not appear on the apps list, but you can see it under 'installed apps' in the settings app.

In mode 0, you should be able to join scheduled Teams meetings for which the Hub was invited. The default Skype UI will be replaced by the Teams UI when joining the meeting and you'll automatically join the meeting.

For this to happen, you must also make sure that the account you're using is licensed for Microsoft Teams - the UI will fail if the account isn't licensed.

Thanks for the response Yoav. I have confirmed that the hubs in question both have a Teams license assigned. When I invited a hub to the meeting I do see the meeting on the hub and when I select Join it's still opening the SkypeFB UI, not seeing any UI failures like others have done. I'll be patient and give it 24 hours just in case it's taking some time for my changes to propagate around. 

Hi @Myles Taylor ,

Can you also run a Get-CalendarProcessing and check if DeleteComments is set to False? If it's not, change it and reboot

Thanks,

Cezar 

That has done the trick nicely @Cezar Cretu thank you very much. I would like to understand the reason and implications of this change in a bit more detail please. We always set the "deletesubject" and "deletecomments" to true on our resource mailboxes to hide any confidential information that a user may accidentally add into a meeting invite from appearing on the Home menu as the hubs are in generally public areas. 

We experiencing the same issue. It only happens when Hubs are in a Teams meeting. Teams meetings without Hub participants don't have this issue. And Skype meetings with Hub participants also don't show this issue.
Frank & Richard, are you applying any QoS parameters to your Teams/SkypeFB traffic https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/qos-in-teams

@Myles TaylorYes we are, and these are working well for Skype and regular Teams calls. Only when a Hub participates in a Teams call this echo occurs. 

@Myles Taylor Speaking of QoS - Do you happen to know the path for the Teams app?  Or does it use the same as Skype?

Skype = ./Device/Vendor/MSFT/NetworkQoSPolicy/SfBVideoQoS/AppPathNameMatchCondition

Teams = ?

@Frank Rijt-van This is a known issue that the noise-cancellation available in the Skype app on Surface Hub is not yet implemented in the Teams app. I spoke to @Cezar Cretu about it and he confirmed it's in progress but no ETA yet on delivery.

@Daniel Hudson, thanks we learned that as well. Microsoft provided us the new Teams client for a number of Surface Hubs to test it. It indeed is fixed in that version, and includes the auto cameraswitching mode.

@Cezar Cretu Any chance of testing the new client here? We're starting our rollout of Teams and users are reluctant to use our Surface Hubs with it at the moment due to the feedback issue.

@Daniel Hudson 

Please open a ticket and I'll see what I can do

Thanks,

Cezar

@Cezar Cretu Will do! You know I'm always happy to be a guinea pig for you guys ;)

D

Hi everyone,

The fix for echo and camera auto-switching has been released. 

@jatinpatel post it on the Microsoft Teams blog here

Let us know how this works out for you

Thank you,

Cezar Cretu

Thanks Cezar! Great to see the continuous improvements coming from the team

@Daniel HudsonThe Whiteboard integration in the new Windows Teams Client is also a great addition! Work really well when collaborating with regular Windows 10 Teams users participating in a Teams meeting.

@Cezar Cretu, is sharing audio in the Teams app for the Surface Hub coming any time soon????????????