SOLVED

Skype Room System app on Windows Store

Steel Contributor
Has anyone gotten this to work without being connected to actual Skype Room System hardware? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/skype-room-system/9nblggh5799l?tduid=(722b996239de52420f4344...)()()
24 Replies
Hello,
does someone found how to bypass the dock presence verification ?

Thanks
Hi Loryan,

can you please tell me how you hack to get it working without Dock ? we want a Meeting PC under the Tabel and get it working on a TouchTV or with the Rally.

But the Wizard stuck on connect the doch on my NUC :(

Good luck with that.  I think that's what a lot of people want, but unfortunately you have to buy the hardware to use the system.

This could be a really affordable room system option for organizations who don't want to pay a lot to Skype / Teams enable their rooms.  The absence of a kiosk version of Skype has always made this a pain point.

best response confirmed by David Phillips (Steel Contributor)
Solution

The platform has changed significantly since this thread was started.  Old workarounds possible on early versions of the software do not apply now.  The software is only distributed and supported with a certified solution hardware from the various Microsoft partners.  It's not possible to advance the setup wizard otherwise, as the application specifically looks for the hardware IDs of the supported products.

@Jeff Schertz Everywhere I go, I continue to see this same response. This is NOT true. It took me 1/2 a day to figure it out and have it working (1 caveat below). Everyone notes that when launching the app it requests the dock. By simply declaring the login credentials in the skypesettings.xml prior to launch, this goes away. As long has you have the licensing setup properly it works w/o issue. You of course must have 2 screens (I used a Raspberry Pi 7" multi-touch touchscreen magnet mounted next to the TV on the wall). By placing a micro PC (recommend min. i5 w/ 8GB RAM as this seems to be the spec for Surfaces used) behind TV and using a wireless speakerphone on the desk, and an existing Logitech camera that was from our pre-existing Polycom Presence +, everything works. I have a fully functioning small room by leveraging an existing PC & camera for less than $200 without having to run any new cabling in floor core. I did have to add a scheduled task to play an inaudible sound blip every 20 minutes, as the speakerphone powers off after 30 minutes. If left unplugged, I'm sure this will kill the battery after a day or so if no power is on the table. 

Here comes the caveat. What still doesn't function (I only tried a single device and spent 2-3 hours on it) is the external presentation button in the app. The Surface docks from Logitech use nothing more than an HDMI capture card running on default USB capture driver from MSFT. However, I'm guessing the app may be hard coded to recognize only certain device IDs. There is no option in the app to define it , nor any XML code to app via the skypesettings.xml file (at least none I have found). The inexpensive adapter I purchased did function in capturing the screen with other apps, so I know it was functional, and this is only a guess. I simply chose not to waste time on this, as you can simply share the screen via the Teams app (send to room in chat and press answer button on touchscreen or add Teams meeting via invite or direct call from your Teams or via touchscreen.

For those that want something on the desk and can run wiring, a suggestion would be a reused PC and a 10" touchscreen from WaveShare (model B not D) can be at/on desk and run an HMDI/USB extender to TV on wall for camera and video. It's homemade, but with cabling, extender, touchscreen and speakerphone, your talking about a $350 investment. 

And since I didn't mention it, I was quite happy with the eMeet Luna speakerphone's sound quality, however, you do need to go into the mic sound settings and set levels to 100 to pick all of small room (6 to 8 recommended). And while I did not test, the Luna can link 2 together with a cable between them. 

Not elegant, but works 100%.