SOLVED

Skype Room System app on Windows Store

Steel Contributor
Has anyone gotten this to work without being connected to actual Skype Room System hardware? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/skype-room-system/9nblggh5799l?tduid=(722b996239de52420f4344...)()()
24 Replies

No, afaik there is no possibility to get it work without a Dock from Logitech, Polycom or Crestron. You can install it, but you can't finish the install wizard.

We managed to hack a way to make it work, but it's not worth it and not adviseable.

The power is in the dock + software, not just one or the other.

But for testing purposes it could sometimes useful not to need the dock. When you want to install the Surface, you need the Power and Volume Button to boot from a USB Stick, and in the Logitech Dock, you can't use the Volume one.

That's disappointing. I have a number of conference rooms that could benefit from this. We've been searching for a long time for a kiosk mode version of Skype for Business and have hacked together a solution, but this seems to somewhat fit that bill.

I think that is what all of us has been trying the last 10 years, trying to do the DIY Skype Room Systems with various hardware (me myself with Intel NUC's) for wireless keyboards, webcams, mic, speakers etc. Problem is, they never worked very well, there was always something not working properly or not user-friendly.

If you ask Microsoft, that is probably what they are trying to address with Skype Room Systems, making sure it just works and for that I think you need to standardise the hardware. That is probably why the app makes sure you have the proper hardware installed att startup. I also think they're trying to take it a step further with monitoring built into OMS so you can get alerts if for example the SRS loose connectivity with the camera etc. That is probably hard without a common hardware platform.

Sure, it comes with a price tag...

100% agree with you on room standardization. I've preached it until I'm blue in the face. And with unlimited cash resources it would be possible. Unfortunately that's never the case.

You're right. Standardizing SRS v2 on a handful of hardware reduces variation, allowing us to deliver a more reliable experience, hence the hardware check.

With that said, one of the goals with SRS v2 is to significantly lower the price point for conferencing systems. A SRS v2 system (Surface Pro 4 + Dock) is available here at $1999. If you already have a Surface Pro 4, I am told you can call and order the SmartDock separately.

Hopefully you will find that the cost of SRS v2 offerings comparable to the cost of a DIY systems (compute + touch screen + commercial mount for touch screen + OS license etc.)

@David Tse (SKYPE) wrote:

If you already have a Surface Pro 4, I am told you can call and order the SmartDock separately  

That is correct, that is actually what we did since we couldn't get hold of the SmartDock+SP4 bundle yet but had a Surface Pro 4 (i5 model is a requirement) so we just ordered the Smartdock. Took a few minutes to put the hardware together.

Hi Loryan, for testing purposes, can you tell us how you exactly managed to bypass the SmartDock setup screen?

Thanks,
Marc

Can I use Logitech Smartdock to connect with users who do not have a Skype for business account?

That is create a meeting and remote clients can connect to the meeting as guests with the SFB Webb App, without an SFB account. Can I do that with Smartdock? Or is it limited to SFB-to-SFB communication?

thanks

The external clients can connect to the meeting via the Broweser plugin. The conference is hosted on the Skype for Business Server and not on the Logitech Smart Dock.

Hi David, That link doesn't work, and even if it did, I'll never ever buy from Dell again ever.  Ever.  Never.  Long story. :)

Do you have another source for just the dock?

CDW (Computer Discount Warehouse) lists it, (search for CDW Part: 4413882) and I actually discussed with the local Logitech Sales Engineer.  You will have to load special firmware onto your SP4 to utilize the Room System and SmartDock.  Evidently this is meant to be a dedicated Room System. Not meant to use on a day to day kit deployed for users.

Thank you.  I'm looking to use it as a portable demo unit with my own personal Surface Pro 4.  The Logitech sales guy who demoed it for us was using his in the same fashion.

Looks like my link is now broken. On the bright side, searching for Logitech Smart Dock seems to show a decent number of online vendors now.

Yes the SmartDock is designed specifically to plug into an SP4 and be a dedicated shared conferencing system setup in a meeting room. Its like a kiosk machine for conferencing. Not meant to be a conferencing peripheral you plug into your personal Windows PC that you sign into.

The logitech engineer is correct. You would plug the dock into an existing SP4 and image the system with instructions here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt790558.aspx. Alternatively, you can buy the Dock + SP4 together which will already be imaged.

I found it on CDW, dock + conference cam connect on the way!

For demo purposes, I believe you can also use a personal SP4 + dock + downloadable windows store app.  I'll keep you posted once I hear back from my Logitech guy.

Hi, would you mind sharing the hack? Thank you
It doesn't work even on the SmartDock because they break something new with every other automatic update.... would NOT recommend at this juncture.

struggling with a Surface Pro and MS dock - how did you manage the hack?

thanks 

John

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David Phillips (Steel Contributor)
Solution

The platform has changed significantly since this thread was started.  Old workarounds possible on early versions of the software do not apply now.  The software is only distributed and supported with a certified solution hardware from the various Microsoft partners.  It's not possible to advance the setup wizard otherwise, as the application specifically looks for the hardware IDs of the supported products.

View solution in original post