Will barcodes generated by SharePoint guarantee that it will uniquely identify the item when migrate

Steel Contributor

I know that i can enable barcodes in sharepoint online, by following these steps inside the "In Place Records Management" feature. we can activate in Site Collection Administration > Site Collection Features > In Place Records Management. Within List Settings > Information management policy settings > Item > Enable Barcodes.

now the barcode generated will uniquely identify the items inside the list.. but what will happen if we want to migrate this list to another tenant or to another site within the same tenant ? will the barcodes still valid, or we mght get duplicate barcodes when generating new ones inside the destination site?

5 Replies

It will need to generate new barcodes. Old one won't be valid

@NicolasKheirallah i have similar question/issue.. but why the old bar codes will no more be valid after migration ?

Imaging you're moving house but to an identical house, everything is going be placed the same but the address will be different. Same thing here, because have moved the file the bar code needs to be regerated to show the new value because the URL has changed.

@NicolasKheirallah thanks for the reply,, but i thought the bar code will depend on the item id? which can be preserved when migrating 

No, because the barcode will still point to the old URL. It won't know that you've moved it and moving it to a new place will need to generate a new one. The barcode is unique.