SOLVED

Transparent Image Displays Incorrectly

Brass Contributor

UPDATE: The fix seems to be to do nothing, wait a couple days, and then try again and maybe it will work miraculously. Not exactly satisfying but good enough for me right now.

Hi team,

I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here. My goal is to take some SmartArt from PowerPoint, export it as a .png, and then drop it in a SharePoint page. If possible I'd like to be able to maintain the transparency of the original image background.

Current workflow and outcome:

(1) Image saved as .png from Powerpoint (rclick, 'Save as Picture', save as .png)

Austen_E_1-1631503997417.png

2. Check image has exported correctly (thumbnail below but also have opened with an image viewer to verify - the background is transparent as desired)

Austen_E_2-1631504096063.png

3. Open up Sharepoint page in edit mode

Austen_E_4-1631504267280.png

4. Attempt to upload image (note at this stage it looks like it has been uploaded fine with transparency being recognized correctly).

Austen_E_5-1631504318341.png

5. Result: Transparent portions of image have been converted to black (this persists in both Teams view and browser view of the Sharepoint site)

Austen_E_6-1631504406016.png

Current Workaround: Saving the image with a full white background instead of transparent - doesn't look as great in the sections of the SharePoint site w/ non-white backgrounds, but better than the above.

To add to my general confusion - I swear that this worked correctly when I tried it the first time. I noticed a typo in the image text and needed to alter and re-upload, after which it worked as above.

Any tips would be most welcome.

8 Replies

@Austen_E Random thought: Did you rename the file? Sometimes when I have an image that has a goober, I fix it and try to upload it again, and it won't take. When I rename, it works just fine. Since you think the upload worked for you the first time, what about the "first time" with a new file name?

@Joni_Kirk - thank you for the suggestion! Gave it a try (as well as recreating the image, recreating the original SmartArt, and doing everything from scratch). Unfortunately no luck so far!

@Austen_E 

I tried with your steps( 1. using smartart and save as picture) and outcome was same like image uploaded with black background so i did PrintScr and paste in paint and just crop the area of image and save it as png and this time success with white background. 

so what i think is when we try to save it as picture may be its gradient change and after uploading it take it as black background.

i hope this helps.

Yes the white background is a good temporary workaround (can be achieved easier by simply changing the background colour for the elements in PowerPoint) - but it would be ideal if I could figure out a way to get the Sharepoint page to correctly display the transparent background (so the figures blend into the page background, rather than displaying on a white box).
May be you can use some online tools to make it as transparent image and try to upload well it work for me.
best response confirmed by Austen_E (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Thank you! Unfortunately I tested a similar option back at the start. The issue was replicating with any transparent image (including ones not created by me).

However, and most curiously - this morning I had to update the graphic as we had moved further along the timeline, and tested it with a transparent background and it worked as intended! This seems to have worked for other transparent test images I tried as well.

The fix seems to be: do nothing, wait a couple days, and then try again and maybe it will work miraculously. Not exactly satisfying but good enough for me right now.

Update 7JUN22 - the undesired behaviour is back, and I've had to swap to white backgrounds to avoid the transparent images incorrectly appearing w/ black backgrounds.

If they miraculously start working again, I'll post here, but this remains an unfixed issue.

SharePoint is showing my transparent pngs with a grey background. Doesn't seem to be just a global admin thing as I have tested with a user account and I get the same problem. Nor is it to do with targeted release as suggested in another post. This is very irritating as making my pages look rubbish.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Austen_E (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Thank you! Unfortunately I tested a similar option back at the start. The issue was replicating with any transparent image (including ones not created by me).

However, and most curiously - this morning I had to update the graphic as we had moved further along the timeline, and tested it with a transparent background and it worked as intended! This seems to have worked for other transparent test images I tried as well.

The fix seems to be: do nothing, wait a couple days, and then try again and maybe it will work miraculously. Not exactly satisfying but good enough for me right now.

View solution in original post