SOLVED

The 'Checked out by' column is not available in Document library

Copper Contributor

I need to make the 'Checked out by' column visible in my SharePoint document library but it is not available for selection.

I tried switching to the classic experience experience the same issue.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Here is what I see.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 112202.png

Regards,

Jayne

6 Replies
That should be available in modern or classic view. Is there a Content Type associated with the library? Does that Content Type include that column?

@Jabux Try this once:

1. Go to your SharePoint document library
  2. Click on Settings (gear) icon from top right corner --> Select Library settings --> more library settings
  3. From library settings page, go to Versioning settings
  4. Try changing this setting: ganeshsanap_0-1714379620794.png
  5. Go back to edit view page and see if it shows "Checked Out To" column now.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thanks for the reply! The allow contents types is set to NO. I even tried creating a brand new document library and checked out to is still not available. Thought maybe it was the browser but issue is with both Edge and Chrome.
Thanks for your reply. I gave your suggestion a shot and it didn't clear the issue.
best response confirmed by Jabux (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jabux 

Is this site created manually in SharePoint OR migrated/programmatically created?

Maybe the site column is not available in your SharePoint site somehow. Can you try creating a document library in another SharePoint site?

Also, try opening URL like this in your browser and see if it shows any error or opens the column settings page: 

<siteUrl>/_layouts/15/fldedit.aspx?field=CheckoutUser

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

The site was created before my time so I am not sure how it was created.
Tried the URL and I just get a blank screen.
I created a document library on another site and the checked out to attribute displays as expected so there is definitely something wrong with he way the site was created.

Thanks very much for your help. I'm going to create my doc library on another site.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jabux (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jabux 

Is this site created manually in SharePoint OR migrated/programmatically created?

Maybe the site column is not available in your SharePoint site somehow. Can you try creating a document library in another SharePoint site?

Also, try opening URL like this in your browser and see if it shows any error or opens the column settings page: 

<siteUrl>/_layouts/15/fldedit.aspx?field=CheckoutUser

View solution in original post