SOLVED

Sum a sharepoint list column

Copper Contributor

Hi

I would like to sum a number column using a method that I can then use that sum with another column sum and subtract one from the other.  I have used the built in method but cant access the value to do a calculation on.

Thanks for any help.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Faldo (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Under the "Columns" section, click on "Create column".
Enter a name for your calculated column and select "Calculated" as the column type.
In the "Formula" section, enter the following formula:
=[Column1]+[Column2]-[Column3]
You can find the more here:
https://microsoft365.today/sharepoint-formulas-for-calculated-fields/

@Faldo you can't do calculations based on the sum of different columns. Apart from using a calculate column on each item as suggested by @Jennifer_Wilson which is the solution I would use, the only other method is to build a flow in Power Automate to loop through all the items, add the number of each one to a variable then update another column with the overall result of that variable.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Thanks for replies.

Not quite sure im getting it right.  Im trying to sum up  a complete column say credits and a column debits and subtract debits from credits to get a balance.

@Faldo yes we know, but with SharePoint you can't do that which is why there need to be workarounds.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott 

OK sorry thats fine.

Will do a powerapp or flow if possible.

Thanks again.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Faldo (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Under the "Columns" section, click on "Create column".
Enter a name for your calculated column and select "Calculated" as the column type.
In the "Formula" section, enter the following formula:
=[Column1]+[Column2]-[Column3]
You can find the more here:
https://microsoft365.today/sharepoint-formulas-for-calculated-fields/

View solution in original post