Site collection recycle bin

Iron Contributor

Hello,

I have been looking at classic SharePoint Admin Center, modern admin center and O365 group. I am confused with the deletion times that are available for each.

Classic SharePoint Admin Center keeps deleted sites stay in Recycle Bin for 30 days

Modern SharePoint Admin Center Recycle Bin keeps the sites for 93 days

Deleted O365 group can be restored within 30 days

Does that mean that the actual time the site is available to be restored is 93 days?

Will O365 group site be available to be restored for 93 days as they still get listed in the Deleted Sites? 

For group sites, do they need to be restored using PowerShell as the Restore button doesn't show up?

Since, the group can't be restored, how will sites be used?

Thank you.

Bhavpreet Bains

3 Replies
Quite interesting finding...my bet is that the retention period for site collection recycle bin is 30 days and the 93 days is just a cosmetic bug inherited from the fact that the recycle bin at the site level and also for ODFB can retain deleted items for 93 days

Hello Juan,

According to this article, deleted site collection are emptied from Recycle Bin after 93 days and can be restored during this time period. So, I don't think this is a bug. Hence, all the confusion. :)

Then the cosmetic bug could be in the Old Admin Center ;-)...and by the way, to me sounds better to have 30 days for the Site Collections recycle bin and not 93 that is quite confusing so it's aligned with the 30 days timeframe you have to restored a deleted Office 365 Group cc @Christophe Fiessinger