Shouldn't the site owner have the ability to approve SPO content?

Iron Contributor

In this situation, the owner of the company who has Full Control of the site has posted a new page in SharePoint. The approval notification came to me in Teams and did not go to him. He claims that after selecting "Review Approvals" on the top right of the page that there was nothing there.  

I thought site owners / users with Full Control permissions should have the ability to approve everything in SPO. 

Is there a specific section somewhere to see who has approval permissions? 

3 Replies

@Anthony-123 Are you using SharePoint out of the box approvals? If yes, go to SharePoint site permissions page using URL like: 

https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/MySite/_layouts/15/user.aspx

There will be a group like this: 

ganeshsanap_1-1692971333022.pngTry adding user to Approvers group and see if they are able to see the Pending/Review Approvals. If not, try adding user to Site Collection Administrators (SCA) section. SCA users have access to all content inside the SharePoint site (even when the permission inheritance is broken).

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

I have different permissions groups and permission levels so I don't see an Approvers group.

I have one group (that I created long ago) called "SharePoint Site Owners" with the permission level called "Full Control". This permission level has all items selected including "Approve Items" under List Permissions.

I've also confirmed that Site Pages includes permissions for "SharePoint Site Owners".

The person of concern here is a member of "SharePoint Site Owners" with full control of the site.

I've just logged in as him and can confirm that when he opens a page with Pending Approval, selects Review Approvals, the feedback is "No Received Requests".

I do have a workflow that directs the approvals to me. Would this flow override the ability for a "SharePoint Site Owner" to approve publishing a page? I've just added him as an approver to the workflow and he's now reported that he received an approval request.

@Anthony-123 SharePoint out of the box approvals and Power automate flow approvals are different.

If you are using Power automate flow approvals, you can approve it from outlook email OR from flow approvals page you can find at https://make.powerautomate.com/ - default environment: 

ganeshsanap_0-1693372594608.pngAlso check the Microsoft official documentation for flow approvals if it helps: Get started with Power Automate approvals 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.