SOLVED

SharePoint Modern Interface List Item Opens on a separate page i.e. DispForm.aspx

Iron Contributor

We are puzzled by a list that has modern interface enabled. When clicking on title link for an item in the list, user is taken to new page i.e. to dispform.aspx rather than showing the item on a blade (or pane on right side).

Anyone know why this might be.

5 Replies
Do you have any customization in the list? What kind of list do you have?

Nope...No customization in the list. It's a custom list with quite a few fields and around 5 content types.

Furthermore, when we edit the item it goes back to modern edit form. Thus the flow is "User clicks on list item title --> Redirected to classic DispForm.aspx rather than opening the item in blade --> Click Edit item on ribbon --> Goes back to modern edit form.

best response confirmed by Gurdev Singh (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Gurdev's colleague here.  We figured out why. It was because the list has a calculated field. When there is a calculated field, SharePoint Online automatically switches to the classic experience for the Display Form and as a result, clicking on a list item takes you to the classic Display Form instead of opening the  form on the right-hand panel using the new modern experience.

You're right @Vuong Le Phong. Calculated columns cause the display form to go classic. We have been facing the same problem.

Pinging @Dan Holme to see if someone on the modern engineering team could fix these quirks.

I have a work around for it until it will be fixed by Microsoft. Just make the calculated fields hidden (I used PnP powershell to hide the fields). The fields still display in list views but not in the display form. An interesting thing to note is that everything is fine with the edit form. This bug should be easily fixed by Microsoft.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gurdev Singh (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Gurdev's colleague here.  We figured out why. It was because the list has a calculated field. When there is a calculated field, SharePoint Online automatically switches to the classic experience for the Display Form and as a result, clicking on a list item takes you to the classic Display Form instead of opening the  form on the right-hand panel using the new modern experience.

View solution in original post