SharePoint Document Library Threshold

Brass Contributor
I have a SharePoint online site that I am uploading many documents to. In total I would say about 20,00 documents total that are all sorted in folders A-Z. I keep hitting the Threshold when uploading a up to the letters A-C. I noticed Microsoft recommends either indexing or creating a "document center" from the site templates so I picked document center and still received the threshold limit error in settings. Can I keep uploading files past the limit in the Document Center? Microsoft makes it sound like this site is capable of holding any size library.
4 Replies

The List View Threshold is 5,000 items per view, but a list or library can hold up to 30,000,000 documents or items.

Are you perhaps trying to store all items in a single folder or at the root of the library?

Probably at the root of the library. I have folder A, B, C.. through Z and they all have folders within folders and files at the end of images. I created a document app and tried stores files in there in the Document Center template since that was recommended by Microsoft.

Try to separate the items in folders not exceeding the threshold or in different libraries.

This article may be of interest: http://sharepointmaven.com/how-to-overcome-sharepoint-5000-item-limit-threshold/

With this threshold I would recommend checking to make sure all the documents you are uploading are needed. With a third party analytics solution such as Cardiolog Analytics you're able to receive reports that show the size of each document alongside reports on whether the documents are being viewed or not. This can help you get rid of usless documents that are taking up space.  After that, I agree with Salvatores method as well