row width on Modern Sharepoint Lists

Copper Contributor

Since the modern lists update, the text in some of my list items are being hidden once they reach a certain amount of characters. Does anyone know how to turn this off?

4 Replies

Hi David, thank you for alerting us about this issue. Could you give me some repro steps to turn this into a bug that I can enter into our bug database?

Hi Kerem,

It's not really something you can reproduce after a number of steps, it's on every list that I create across different sites in different site collections. As soon as I create a list, I add a column with multiple lines of text. Once I add multiple items to the list, the list stops showing all of the text and hides it after so many characters.

When I hover my mouse over the text, the text shows all of html formatting associated with that text as well, so I can't even see all of the text there. I've attached a couple of screenshots.

Ah, thank you very much for the clarification.

We have fixed the height of each item at a fixed value, so that we show 4-5 lines depending on DPI and zoom settings of the display and the browser. Our designers think it makes the overall list much more scannable compared to what we had in the classic UI where some long text would take over the entire page. We also added the option to make the columns wider, so you can show more of the text if it is wrapping. Also, if you open the details panel by clicking the (i) icon in the command bar, next to the view selector, the value should also be accessible there.

Most of our users have liked this a little better, but I did hear from some customers that they prefer how we used to show multi-value lines in classic. At the moment going back to classic is all that we can offer to get that behavior back.