Office 365 groups vs office 365 security groups

Brass Contributor

Hi Experts,

Like many I would like to do away with Security groups in favour of Office 365 groups where possible.

I did come across this blog https://threewill.com/office-365-groups-vs-azure-ad-security-groups/ which details it is not the best idea.

The ideal situation would be that an Office 365 group, lets say Team 1 can manage multiple sites. For example, they would have a "public facing" sharepoint site where they are publishing information to the business and a SharePoint site (part of their Microsoft Teams site) where Team 1 would internally collaborative. Team 1 and Team 2 are part of Department A. There is a business facing/publishing site for Department A that Team 1 and 2 are contributors, also the Department A has a Microsoft Team site for internal collaboration. 

Is this best practice to use as Office 365 groups?

The previous blog and Microsoft documentation suggests otherwise.

I'm guessing Departments, Divisions and Teams with people should continue to have an office 365 security group and Projects, Committees or working groups should have and Office 365 group.

I have a few questions surrounding office 365 groups vs security groups (some answers to also help people!)

Office 365 Group

Office 365 Security Group

Business Owners can manage

Yes

No

Devices can be added

No

Yes

Can Searchable by the organization

Yes

No

Creates mailbox, team site and calendar