Item-Level Permission; contribute on the list item and Contribute with override List Behaviors list

Iron Contributor

I have a SharePoint online custom list, with this Item-Level permissions:-

johnjohnPeter_0-1705541375523.png

and I defined a new permission level named "Contribute with edit all items", which mimic the built-in Contribute + this permission "Override List Behaviors", to allow the user to edit all items even the ones not created by the user:-

johnjohnPeter_1-1705541434780.png

then i defined a unique permission for a list item, and i defined the following:-

1) I granted the user the built-in Contribute on the list item level

2) and "Contribute with edit all items" on the list level..

Where the above permission settings, allowed the user to edit the item not created by the user, even that the user has only contribute permission level on the list item level.. so is this a bug or it is the supported scenario? i mean the contribute permission should not allow the user to edit the items not created by the user, since we defined this Item-Level Permission:-

johnjohnPeter_0-1705541375523.png

so any advice on this?

3 Replies

Hello @johnjohn-Peter 

i prefer to set the item level permissions with Power Automate. With Power Automate you can set the permissions and permission levels you need and want on your elements. See here for more informations: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/business-apps/power-automate/guidance/manage-list-i...

Please note the limits and boundaries: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/sharepoint-online-service-descriptio...

Best, Dave

@David Mehr Yes i also use power automate to set permissions on the list items,, but here i am asking about the Item-Level permission , while allow us to have unique permission settings without having to create any Power automate workflow..

Hello @johnjohn-Peter 

ok, the item-level permissions with this default settings are not so clear and transparent and you can't set self created item-level permissions. I think, when you use item-level permissions, it's simplier and more transparent when you do this with Power Automate... My thoughts ;)

Best, Dave