SOLVED

Inserting Tables in Modern Pages

Brass Contributor

Hey, 

Does anyone know of a way to insert a table into a modern page? The current Text web part only seems to support limited formatting of text (bold, underline, bullet lists etc.). I was hoping to insert a table to show opening times for an office so don't need anything like a SharePoint list etc. 

The only way I can see at the moment is to build a custom SPFx web part to insert a HTML table, but that is tad overkill...

Cheers.

James.

5 Replies
best response confirmed by AaronCouch (Brass Contributor)
Solution
The current editor unfortunately doesn't allow adding tables. But you can copy and paste tables from another source, like Word into SharePoint mordern pages. You cannot edit them though, but you can change the text within the cells.

Thanks Ivan, copying from Word does indeed work but you end up with black formatting around the table. Better than nothing though :)

Thanks again. 

James.

Copying table from Word works ok, but it strips table for any pictures inside the table :(

And it seems impossible to reinsert the pictures inside the cells of the tables, after the tables been stripped. I really hope Microsoft will adress this issue.

Morten

Hi @James Brennan,

I recently submitted a SPFX sample showing how to use the Textbox.io third party editor instead of the SharePoint default one. This editor allows you to create dynamic tables plus different very cool features like Word copy/paste, images, videos, etc.

You can get the solution here:

https://github.com/FranckyC/sp-dev-fx-webparts/tree/react-textboxio/samples/react-textboxio

Also, I've made the same integration, but with collapsible sections:

https://github.com/FranckyC/sp-dev-fx-webparts/tree/react-collapsible-textboxio/samples/react-collap...

For information, the two samples are currently submitted as PR in the official PnP SPFx webparts repository.

Hope this help.

I too would appreciate an update to this - tables are important to the way we present information and simple tools to manage the look would be much appreciated.

Preferably, native to share point without add-ins or scripts. I note that copying a formatted table from Word / Excel into Office 365 Email retains the formatting - whereas SharePoint Modern Pages drop all the formatting...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AaronCouch (Brass Contributor)
Solution
The current editor unfortunately doesn't allow adding tables. But you can copy and paste tables from another source, like Word into SharePoint mordern pages. You cannot edit them though, but you can change the text within the cells.

View solution in original post