incomplete search results?

Copper Contributor

I have a question about the validity of search results being returned in a SharePoint Server 2019 environment.

Here is an example of the scenario:

1. I've created a list with about 10 columns.  There is a single line of text column that includes a series of 1 or more 6-character, alpha-numeric codes which are used to uniquely identify people.  When there is more than one code, the codes are currently separated by space.  They were previously separated by a semi-colon, and I had the same issue I'm having now as described below.
  2. If I search the list's All Items view using one of the 6-character codes, the search does not return all list items that match the search criteria.  It will only return partial results -- some where the specified code is the only code in the column and others where the specified code is one of several codes in the column.
  3. I've created a column index for this single line of text column, and I created a view filtered to only include list items that contain a specific code.  The view results do include all of the matching list items.  This is good.
  4. However, if I search the list view (using the "Find an item" box) by the same value that it is filtered by in the view design, then again it only finds partial results and thus decreases the number of list items shown in the view even though the search criteria is exactly the same as the view's filter criteria.

I'm stumped trying to figure out how to make sense of this or how to make the searching actually work and find all results.

On more than on occasion, I've clicked the list's "Reindex" button, and/or re-crawled the entire site, and/or reset the index at the site-collection level followed by full crawl, but none of this seems to help.  We've even built a separate / clean environment to test this with, and have the same issue on both servers.

What's going on?

2 Replies
An additional possible solution could be to check the managed properties for the column in question and make sure it's searchable.
To do this, go to the SharePoint Central Administration website and navigate to the Search service application.
From there, under Queries and Results, you can select Metadata Properties and find the managed property for your column.
Make sure it is set to be searchable.

Maybe it helps :)...if not please just ignore it.

Hi!
We do have the exactly same behavior with one of our lists in SPSE. We experience the problem with a date column "Abfahrt" that we can filter on a value "13.10.2022" via view. We receive 17 items in the filtered view. When we then use the list search the results are brought down to 14. When we explicitly search for "Abfahrt: 13.10.2022" we receive all 17 results.
The column is mapped to a crawled property and to a managed property with search, query and retrieve enabled.
Did you find any solution in the meantime?
Regards, Urs