Inaccurate person search possible with umlauts in the name?

Brass Contributor

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is a way to find employees in the People Search who have umlauts in their name without explicitly searching for them. So that the People Search also returns inaccurate results for umlauts?

I have already tried to play around with a new managed property and the different settings for it, unfortunately without success.
For example: A search is made for "Joerg", but the person is entered as "Jörg". When I search for Joerg I get no hit! And vice versa.

It should not only include German umlauts but also letters such as é,è,ê,œ,ø, ç,č and so onI am happy about every tip.
@AgnesMolnar 
@MikaelSvenson 

3 Replies

@EnricoBeyer are you talking about searching for people in product UX or via an API?

Hi Mikael,
thank you for your fast response. I'm talking about product UX and use a Search Webpart like the PNP Search Webpart to configure the search query. If it would work in the Standard SharePoint Search it would be great too. :)
I guess then it would be a feature request. I'm wondering if it may work with something within the KQL part? Or is it only possible via API request?

If you use SharePoint search and enable phonetic at the API level it works as expected

enablephonetic=true

In product UX o->oe both return the same person when I test.. if I use ö it seems to not work. but ø works.

Log a ticket :)