In modern libraries, any way to open the properties panel by default?

Steel Contributor

We have a client with a library full of PDFs. To facilitate the entering of metadata, they've asked if there is a way to have the information panel (the (i) icon) open by default in the document preview. I did a solid hour's worth of web-scouring with nothing to show. I found several articles on how to make that panel appear in client apps, but nothing relating to the document preview on the web. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 Replies
There is no out of the box way that I'm aware of. However when you upload documents the details pane opens up by default for metadata entry. But going into an item there isn't a way without adding in some dev bits of doing it with maybe a query string if there is a way. Conditional columns will work if you can add actions to the column formatting which I think you might be able too so I would investigate those once they go live in your tenant you might be able to edit the Item link column to have some query string or some kind of way to cause that details pane to come out.
Also bear in mind that Attention views are coming to modern libraries so you will have out of the box a nice feature to get noticed of documents that needs to get metadata updated