How to create unique permission level in SP DocLibrary ?

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

Currently I need to create simple filling tools using Doc Library in SharePoint Site

Already create root/main folder named "GA" and "HR" like screenshot below :

priyo182_3-1705984675162.png

Then create group of user (Admin, Manager, Visitor) like screenshot below :  

priyo182_0-1705983618692.png

Admin Roles : People who can upload file, manage/edit some attribute in file uploaded, manage user permission (add & remove person in each user group)

Manager Roles : People who can only view and download files

Visitor Roles : People who can only view files and cannot download files

Current (Default) Permission Levels : 

priyo182_1-1705984262983.png

How we can manage and assign permission for each group? 

Especially for Admin Group, since they can manage permission (add/remove person) who can access the file. Is it possible without assign "Full Control" in Admin Group role?

Looking feedback from this group member or community?

Thank you

Warm regards, 

5 Replies

Hello @priyo182 

you can change the permission level for each group on permission page. Here as example in site permission: 

DavidMehr_0-1706006681892.png

Here are more about permisson levels: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/understanding-permission-levels?WT.mc_id=DX-MVP-5004845 

Best, Dave

Hi @David Mehr ,

For Manager and Visitor roles, i have copy permission level from "Read" then customize it into 2 new permission level like screenshot below.

priyo182_0-1706498287498.png

But for Admin Roles which they need to manage access for their internal team and upload/manage files in it, i still have difficulties between customize "Contribute" level or "Full Control" level.

Which permission level that i can copy and custom then assign to user?

So, Admin user can manage files without interfere access outside of their team.

Looking any advise from this community

Thank you

Warm regards, 

@priyo182 I think you will have to grant unique permissions at "Folder" level.

Try this: 

1. Go to your document library
  2. Select the folder and open "Manage access" popup like: ganeshsanap_0-1706547184511.png
  3. Follow the steps given here: SharePoint Site Pages Manage Access - Can View Option - this show granting read permissions. However, you can grant any permission level as per your requirements.
  4. When Admin group will have Full control permissions on one folder, they cannot make any changes in another folder.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi @ganeshsanap , thank you for your advise.

Yes, i already create some folder named each department.

Then grant unique permissions at "Folder" level.

So, each PIC cannot manage differ folder

New Permission Name as mentioned above (View with Download and View without Download) was copied from "Read" permission type with some custom.

For Admin roles,, is it possible if we copy permission "Full Control" then custom (check/uncheck) option on it? So, PIC admin can manage access (add/remove user) and upload/manage files in each folder

Kindly advise

Thank you

@priyo182

Yes, you should assign Full Control permissions to admin groups and add them in folder permissions so that they manage permissions for the folders (add/remove other users) as well as upload files in the folder.

You will have to add admin group on all the folders permissions. 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.